APC Forum

How to Best Promote Fireworks

NightHawkInLight

A representative of Machinima contacted me today wanting to add my content to their network. This would mean promotion through their channels and a few other things that may allow me to put way more effort and resources into my videos, and gain a MUCH larger amount of exposure (Their total network views in 2010 were 2.3 Billion). I guess I need to do some serious thinking and get some input on what the best way to promote fireworks is from that platform. This is an exciting opportunity for myself, but I never intended my videos for my own exposure. As I've been getting more involved with clubs and fireworks organizations I've been pushing more and more in my videos to promote those groups. I don't care about my own exposure if the hobby we all love is damaged by it. I want to do the best job possible to make us hobbyists look good.

Even if this all falls through I would like to hear your thoughts on how to better direct my channel for the benefit of fireworks. I'm open to any suggestions, I won't take offense to total annihilation of my work if you have some ideas of how to better the pyro community. What would you like to tell people about fireworks if you had a stage to shout it on? In fact I may post videos with a good message to my channel if any of you create them.

Man I think that is really great.Your videos are most likly the best on youtube.I look forword to meeting you at the PGI this year.Now that all that

nice stuff I said is over{wink} let me give you my two cents.

I think you must get the point over to John Q Public that our hobby, is not about making firecrackers as most people look at it.I think you must come

across as we have a form of art.I love the name of Dannys site {Painting the Sky}.The other thing we need to disspell is the danger involved.

We all know the dangers & try to do things in a responsble way.But the guy living next door does not always look at it that way.The folks that

live next to me & I mean two lots apart from me showed concern when I told them I was making fireworks.

Black Powder has got such a bad rap for years.Insurance companys have put such a burden on gun shops they have almost quit handling it.

Why?Myth of how bad & the dangers of it, & it spreads right back to us.Thats what you need to get across IMHOP.

Fly

wow, that's pretty cool. What sort of stuff do they want to see from you? Like tutorials or some sort of explanation of fireworks.

The problem with youtube is that people will only watch it if it is somehow entertaining.

I'm not sure, but I think you first video should just have a quick run down of what fireworks are and how they work.. mot really how they are made, but more how they work and how they get into the air and what makes the colour.

What sort of content does Machinima want you to make?

Man I think that is really great.Your videos are most likly the best on youtube.I look forword to meeting you at the PGI this year.Now that all that

nice stuff I said is over{wink} let me give you my two cents.

I think you must get the point over to John Q Public that our hobby, is not about making firecrackers as most people look at it.I think you must come

across as we have a form of art.I love the name of Dannys site {Painting the Sky}.The other thing we need to disspell is the danger involved.

We all know the dangers & try to do things in a responsble way.But the guy living next door does not always look at it that way.The folks that

live next to me & I mean two lots apart from me showed concern when I told them I was making fireworks.

Black Powder has got such a bad rap for years.Insurance companys have put such a burden on gun shops they have almost quit handling it.

Why?Myth of how bad & the dangers of it, & it spreads right back to us.Thats what you need to get across IMHOP.

Fly

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be back to the PGI till 2012, but we'll see.

I think you brought up some good thoughts. Since the beginning I've had the goal of passively discouraging the use of salutes and firecrackers with my videos, not that I think they're all bad, but I'm sure everyone here could figure out why that would be a good idea on YouTube.

I've also really tried to show the artistic side on my page and in the conversations I have with people, but maybe I do need to be thinking about that more when I'm filming as well, rather than just the technical aspects of the project.

I'm a little conflicted on how to dispel the dangers. On the one hand, building fireworks isn't very dangerous if you go about it the right way, but if you don't think it can become dangerous that's when you'll get in trouble. I think that may be a delicate situation. The solution may have to simply be education about safe methods and why they are safe. Ramming black powder has always been one of those things that people look at and think you're insane. That might be a case where the danger can be dispelled, but I don't think you could stop there without also going on about how dangerous it would be to ram other compositions such as whistle or flash. I'll have to think about how to handle that intentionally.

wow, that's pretty cool. What sort of stuff do they want to see from you? Like tutorials or some sort of explanation of fireworks.

The problem with youtube is that people will only watch it if it is somehow entertaining.

I'm not sure, but I think you first video should just have a quick run down of what fireworks are and how they work.. mot really how they are made, but more how they work and how they get into the air and what makes the colour.

What sort of content does Machinima want you to make?[/Quote]

I'm not certain on the exact details yet. What I understand so far is if I were to accept their offer they would be the ones to provide the advertising on my videos rather than Google, at the same time they would promote my channel through whatever means (I'm trying to clarify what those methods would be). I'm not sure if they would also allow me to upload videos to one of their channels, I really won't know until I hear back from them and look over the legal papers. It seems quite unlikely that they would have me upload videos to their primary channel, as my videos really aren't on their theme, but they have half a dozen other channels and websites that I'm not sure about.

I don't think keeping things entertaining is going to be a problem. The videos that I was just falling asleep making because they were so dry have gotten some of the best response. I think as soon as people see a shell go off they're immediately interested in any information that follows, regardless of how much it may feel like school. Learning can be very entertaining if you know how it relates to the real world.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

You know you got me thinking about a approach.How about the family pyro thing?Americans beleave in family first, as they should.If you approach this as

a family involvement, that changes the preception all together.The club involment also was a great idea.

Fly