Veline's colors (by his own admission) were not the optimal colors possible, but a demonstration of compatible
colors that can be mixed to produce a full palate of pyrotechnic colors, somewhat as a painter mixes basic colors to produce all the variations he needs to produce his masterpiece. Take them for what they are
. Edited by WSM, 02 June 2011 - 05:05 AM.
I could not have said it better myself. rveline
I usually made the prime as a slurry, I put enough slurry prime on (about 20-30% by weight) on the stars to make a stuck-together glob.
Then I put them into drying trays until the top layer of stars lose thier gloss, put them back into a bowl and agitate until all the moisture is evenly redistrubted.
Repeat until the stars no longer stick together while drying.
The point is, you want a prime that is thoroughly stuck to the star (by being wet enough to dissolve part of the outside layer of the star), but has a rough surface in order to catch the fire.
The repeated drying and stirring makes a low density, rough surface-that is easy to ignite- low density-burns fast. Do not repeat more than needed, else you rub all the fuzzies off the prime