APC Forum

Help Identifing a (Chromium?) Compound

NightHawkInLight

Well a friend of mine purchased a 5 gallon bucket full of a mystery chemical for $3 at the PGI last year. On the lid is a strip of tape with 'Chromium' written on it, but crossed out. On another strip of tape is written the word 'Chromate'. Inside the bucket we find a smaller bucket, and within that is a bag simply labeled with a piece of paper marked "?". The contents of that bag is a very dense jet black powder, almost the weight of black copper oxide. I try to avoid smelling unknown and possibly toxic chemicals, but the few whiffs I got I did not recognize.

post-1652-0-42665300-1296943078_thumb.jpg

This powder acts as a fuel when mixed 50/50 by volume with potassium nitrate (which is an over-oxidized mix), burning with an orange/pink flame as would be expected from nitrate. Here is a video:

Any ideas what this could be? I am thinking it may be straight chromium metal, or possibly FeCr2O4 (chromite), which I believe is the form chromium is typically mined in. Not sure if FeCr2O4 would burn though...

The other option is that this is not a chromium compound at all.

Well a friend of mine purchased a 5 gallon bucket full of a mystery chemical for $3 at the PGI last year. On the lid is a strip of tape with 'Chromium' written on it, but crossed out. On another strip of tape is written the word 'Chromate'. Inside the bucket we find a smaller bucket, and within that is a bag simply labeled with a piece of paper marked "?". The contents of that bag is a very dense jet black powder, almost the weight of black copper oxide. I try to avoid smelling unknown and possibly toxic chemicals, but the few whiffs I got I did not recognize.

post-1652-0-42665300-1296943078_thumb.jpg

This powder acts as a fuel when mixed 50/50 by volume with potassium nitrate (which is an over-oxidized mix), burning with an orange/pink flame as would be expected from nitrate. Here is a video:

Any ideas what this could be? I am thinking it may be straight chromium metal, or possibly FeCr2O4 (chromite), which I believe is the form chromium is typically mined in. Not sure if FeCr2O4 would burn though...

The other option is that this is not a chromium compound at all.

I dont think it is Iron chromate (its yellow)

maybe try putting this mystery chem in HCl and another sample in sulfuric acid any reaction that accurs may shed more light on what this is

you may just have dense charcoal ?

Edited by Ralph

I dont think it is Iron chromate (its yellow)

maybe try putting this mystery chem in HCl and another sample in sulfuric acid any reaction that accurs may shed more light on what this is

you may just have dense charcoal ?

I don't think even a dense charcoal could be as heavy as CuO...

Not shedding any light on your mystery--but caution: if it is a derivative of chromium, chromium dermatitis is a nightmare you don't wanna have.

Till you're certain what it is, handle it with gloves and breathing protection.

You might consider trying a post to the PML. Though not every member of PGI is on that list there are bunches of them there and plenty of them who were at the convention last year. The very person who sold that mystery comp might just be a subscriber at the PML--or known by someone who is.

BTW, I want your lighter.

It really doesn't smell like charcoal from what little I did smell it. I'll try dropping it in some HCl and H2SO4 sometime in the next few days and report back.

BTW, I want your lighter.

You like that? It is pretty nice. For a flame as large as it is capable of it can run for a very long time without a refill. I should just let it sit and time how long it takes to dump all the gas. I picked it up from buylighters.com in exchange for a video review:

God that takes me back to the days when I studied chem at GA Tech--thanx Arthur for posting that .pdf.

And hey that Roburn Micro Torch is hot. Or rather it's kool. (Obviously it's both). Buylighters.com doesn't seem to carry it at the moment--but now that I know what to look for . . . (Thanx NHL).

God that takes me back to the days when I studied chem at GA Tech--thanx Arthur for posting that .pdf.

And hey that Roburn Micro Torch is hot. Or rather it's kool. (Obviously it's both). Buylighters.com doesn't seem to carry it at the moment--but now that I know what to look for . . . (Thanx NHL).

sure they do

http://www.buylighters.com/Roburn-Micro-Torch_p_1079.html

Well that's a trip.

Swear I went to the site right after I read NHL's response and did a search for Roburn and only the little Penguin Pocket Torch showed up--but now it's there!

(Thanx Al for sending me back).