APC Forum

Perchlorate in the news

oldguy

Stock up, actually we should stock up on all metals/ chems.

Rising fuel costs will cause drastic increases in prices, look at how the price of kno3 has risen

I hear ya.

Even steel, last time I bought some angle iron I could not believe how much the price increased in a couple years.since I last bought some.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, afew days ago my local news station had abit on kclo4. EPA is at it.

Wasn't even paying attention to the news, but when you hear kclo4 comin through the boobtube then my ears went up like a fox....lol.

It's reasons like this I was looking into an NSF fellowship with the government after I get my PhD. They hire recent graduates as science advisers.

yer im doing the course bachelor of science and then i can become a scientist

It's reasons like this I was looking into an NSF fellowship with the government after I get my PhD. They hire recent graduates as science advisers.

Don't worry, the Tea Party Republicans will cut the EPA's funding before anything happens.

The EPA web site is a bit vague, in that it doesn't say what kind of perchlorate they're worried about. It is of course ammonium perchlorate, the kind that runs out of the taps in my house and can some days even be tasted. We had two AP plants here in the valley - the Pepcon plant that blew up in 1988,and a Kerr-McGee plant a few miles away. The former Kerr-McGee plant is a superfund site that leaches AP into the Colorado River day and night.

Edited by Peret

im sure hobby suppliers will give ample notice before prices jump, if they do at all.

im sure hobby suppliers will give ample notice before prices jump, if they do at all.

most likely, but if you read the post prior to mine you'll see Kerr-McGeee hasn't made Potasium perchlorate since the late 80's, it's getting scarce.

The Chinese stuff isn't bad, but it not as good as KM

Kerr-McGee doesn't exist any more. It was bought out in 2006 by Anadarko Petroleum. Just prior to that, it spun its chemical division off as the independent company Tronox. Stockholders found out too late that along with the chemical business they also got all of Kerr-McGee's EPA liabilities, including the Nevada superfund site and some even worse radioactive sites. Tronox stock became worthless and was delisted in 2008, and the company filed Chapter 11 in 2009 - the pissed off stockholders are in the middle of a class-action suit against Anadarko for misrepresentation flat out lying about the liabilities. You can still buy Kerr-McGee AP, but it's no longer being manufactured, so get it while stocks last. This is surplus mil-spec space shuttle fuel, the best available.