APC Forum

Help with impure SrSO4

50AE

I have 1 kg of dity SrSO4 given me as a present. It's brown in color and seems to have many impurities. So I've been wondering if I could heat it with carbon to make the sulfide. The sulfide is soluble and then it will be reacted with a soluble carbonate to make pure SrCO3.

SrSO4 + 2C ->> SrS + 2CO2

But I wonder what the temperature must be to let this reaction happen? Can you folks help?

do you have any idea of the impurities ? the sulfate can be used in compositions and if it will give a nice color why bother putting in any extra effort

Washing with water and HCl would likely get rid of most of the impurities. I know it's not to be trusted, but wikipedia claims it is soluble in alkali chloride solutions (NaCl for instance).

To reduce Strontium Sulfate all the way down to the sulfide will require quite a bit of heat. I'd estimate over 1000 celcius.

Ok, I started by washing the stuff with water, in case it has soluble compounds. This is how it looks like:

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/3338/picture077i.jpg

Next, I might try mixing a small batch of it with KCl solution and filter it off. Could then react this solution with a carbonate, or CO2.

Edit: I mixed the whole thing with a KCl solution, hoping I will get some SrSO4 dissolve. After 6 hours of settling, I sucked the brown particleless liquid. Its pH is 10,3... I'm hoping there are some Sr+ ions in the solution

Edited by 50AE