APC Forum

potassium chlorate cell

eggi96

Hi guys i just started my electrolysis and its been maybe 1hr and some type of foam has formed at the top is this normal. Do I have to filter it out

Hi guys i just started my electrolysis and its been maybe 1hr and some type of foam has formed at the top is this normal. Do I have to filter it out

That doesn't say much...I don't recall anyone having that issue before, but maybe someone can help.

What's in the cell? What are you using for an anode and cathode?

There are already (2 I think) threads on (per)chlorate cells. In future, try posting on one of them, rather than starting a new one, it keeps related info together.

oh whoops im making potassium chlorate using potassium chloride in a 2.7litre cell the anode is MMO and the cathode is titanium

That doesn't say much...I don't recall anyone having that issue before, but maybe someone can help.

What's in the cell? What are you using for an anode and cathode?

There are already (2 I think) threads on (per)chlorate cells. In future, try posting on one of them, rather than starting a new one, it keeps related info together.

oh whoops im making potassium chlorate using potassium chloride in a 2.7litre cell the anode is MMO and the cathode is titanium

Unless you got some soap or other contamination in the cell, I can't imagine what is causing the "foam". I know that the cathode developes a lot of very fine bubbles of hydrogen. If the "foam" disperses quickly then it's probably just the fine hydrogen bubbles.

If the "foam" lingers, then I'm lost and can't explain it without more information. Can you take a photo or video of it and post it?

WSM B)

stupid of me i mixed tap water with the potassium chloride and not distilled water is that still alright but yes i will take a video ill post it up on youtube shortly

Unless you got some soap or other contamination in the cell, I can't imagine what is causing the "foam". I know that the cathode developes a lot of very fine bubbles of hydrogen. If the "foam" disperses quickly then it's probably just the fine hydrogen bubbles.

If the "foam" lingers, then I'm lost and can't explain it without more information. Can you take a photo or video of it and post it?

WSM B)

here is my cell up and running

or watch directly on here

stupid of me i mixed tap water with the potassium chloride and not distilled water is that still alright but yes i will take a video ill post it up on youtube shortly

IF your tap water is clean it shouldn't matter. I only ever used distilled water, but many people use tap water or filtered tap water.

If it's tap water with much calcium in it, the hydroxide formed could precipitate out, and cause the foaming. It's just solid sticking to the bubbles and the surface, nothing to really worry about. It will go away when you recrystallize. Be aware though in the future that calcium chlorate is a somewhat unstable explosive.

by recrystallizing do you mean letting the liquid to cool then filtering with distilled water

If it's tap water with much calcium in it, the hydroxide formed could precipitate out, and cause the foaming. It's just solid sticking to the bubbles and the surface, nothing to really worry about. It will go away when you recrystallize. Be aware though in the future that calcium chlorate is a somewhat unstable explosive.

by recrystallizing do you mean letting the liquid to cool then filtering with distilled water

Pleaase take a read through the WHOLE thread on making (per)chlorate, a lot of reading, but a lot of good info.

Recrystallizing is a method of purification. Basically, take the solid chlorate crystals and then dissolve them in water, filtering the water is common, and then evaporate off the water or cool it to let the crystals come out of solution.

• 2 months later...

Hi eggi96,

I just looked at the video. What is the source for your KCl? If it is good, clean material, I suspect your water has a lot of minerals in it. If the KCl is from agricultural chemicals or some other impure source, then that is the place to look.

I use potassium water softener salt and water purified through a reverse osmosis purifier and don't ever see brown foam in my cell. Except for that, everything looks normal. Let us know what you do to resolve the issue. Have fun :D!

WSM B)

Hi eggi96,

I just looked at the video. What is the source for your KCl? If it is good, clean material, I suspect your water has a lot of minerals in it. If the KCl is from agricultural chemicals or some other impure source, then that is the place to look.

I use potassium water softener salt and water purified through a reverse osmosis purifier and don't ever see brown foam in my cell. Except for that, everything looks normal. Let us know what you do to resolve the issue. Have fun :D!

WSM B)

I didnt resolve the issue I just went through with it and the end result was potassium chlorate since I use it now for my smoke bombs. My source of potassium chloride is from diverse hobbies which is very pure. it must be my water supply. Next time I will remember to use distilled water.

I didnt resolve the issue I just went through with it and the end result was potassium chlorate since I use it now for my smoke bombs. My source of potassium chloride is from diverse hobbies which is very pure. it must be my water supply. Next time I will remember to use distilled water.

Hi eggi96,

If your tap water is that gnarly, You may want to invest in a water filter. Ours isn't so great either so I got an undersink reverse osmosis water filter and enjoy drinking water again :wub: !

I tested the water for dissolved solids and found that the tap water has 300-400 ppm of dissolved solids (depending on the time of year). After going through the RO filter it's less than 20 ppm. Until you can get an RO system, distilled water from stores is the best bet ;) . [for chemistry, not drinking:rolleyes: ]

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

haha wsm yes i dont drink out of the tap i have a filter in the fridge where my drinking water comes from

We have an RO system that has warning on it that says not to drink RO water as the water will strip minerals from your body. Our Rep gave me literature on the subject as well indicating that RO water is not considered potable.

We have an RO system that has warning on it that says not to drink RO water as the water will strip minerals from your body. Our Rep gave me literature on the subject as well indicating that RO water is not considered potable.

I'd like to read that. Can you send a copy?

I don't worry about cooking with it, but never heard of problems when drinking it.

WSM B)

Sorry, its an RO/DI system, my mistake. Straight RO systems are OK I guess.

Whew! I just finished a bottle of it today! I don't drink distilled water for the cautions you mentioned. DI water has zero ppm of dissolved solids, BTW.:whistle:

WSM B)

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'd just like to ask a few people with more experience than I've seen about a problem with my power supplies. I have tried both a commandeered laptop charger, and a computer switching supply. Both were checked for shortage in the circuit via multimeter, and seemed fine. Also, I am using MMO and Ti for my electrodes in a 1 litre cell. When I turn on each of the power supplies, after 15 minutes or so they start pulsing at a rate of 60/minute or so. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks, Sabdacrab

Usually that's a sign of overloading. The PSU senses excess current so it turns down the voltage to protect itself. This reduces the current, so it turns itself up again, and so on forever. You could try separating your electrodes a little, or lowering the liquid level to reduce the area.

Thanks, I'll have a shot playing with those tips tonight!

Thanks Peret! My cell is bubbling away happily!