APC Forum

strobe rocket

eggi96

Hey guys instead of using ammonium nitrate since it is hard to buy/find can i use potassium perchlorate for strobe rocket mix

I guess you meant Ammoniumperchlorate instead of -nitrate?

You'll need a good strobe formula for strobe rockets, good strobes are mostly AP strobes.

You need whistle to assist.

Although AN is strictly regulated here in the US for fertiliser you can get smaller quantities from Instant cold / Ice packs

I looked at a lot of strobe formulas, none used AN

No its AP he is after.

As Ralph stated on TBP: "NO"

Trying to make some of this myself. Does anyone know of a good deal on either a lead dioxide or platinum anode?

Patsroom seems to have gone with his nice lead dioxide...

So can you use a nitrate/sulpher stobe in these instead? Would probably block the nozzle is my guess.

They're also not consistently burning enough for the preferences of most rocket builders. The burn rate may not be appropriate either. I'm not sure of the exact reasons, but I hear them shot down a lot for rocketry uses.

yes i did mean ammonium perchlorate instead of ammonium nitrate whoops. Would you guys know where to get some ammonium perchlorate in australia

yes i did mean ammonium perchlorate instead of ammonium nitrate whoops. Would you guys know where to get some ammonium perchlorate in australia

not available (see the other thread you started) a couple people have managed to smuggle some in from the states were they have free access to an abundance of cheap chemicals

not available (see the other thread you started) a couple people have managed to smuggle some in from the states were they have free access to an abundance of cheap chemicals

I've thought about trying to import some but I think the presence of ammonia would make my package stand out like dogs balls!!

You've gotta make it eggi, its the only way for us Aussies.

Edited by ausgoty

Ammonia and ammonium are two very different things. If you're worried about the smell, there is none. If you're worried about it being confused with ammonium nitrate, well that is a risk you have to take.

I've thought about trying to import some but I think the presence of ammonia would make my package stand out like dogs balls!!

You've gotta make it eggi, its the only way for us Aussies.

finding someone willing is the hardest bit actually getting it through customs isnt that hard its all about how its labeled an "oxygenating bio filter nutrient for aquaculture" is almost certainly going to get let through "solid rocket fuel partA" has no hope

Thanks Al, another supplier new to me, and apparently one that can beat Travis! :blink: Not much use to the Aussies though.

Now thats just rubbing salt into the wounds :)

I do know bloke, on the other side of the world, who would probably send me a kilo or two of this oxygenating bio filter stuff, but I think in the long run I would be better off investing the money in aquiring the means to make it.

Hmmmm, would be great if I got it tho, there are some other oxygenating bio filter varieties I would like as well.

I thought the sniffer dogs were especially trained to find ammonium compounds? I would imagine that AP smells a lot like AN to a dog?

I am a very reluctant chemist, but we do what we have to do.

Sorry for the threadjacking eggi, but I think we answered your question somewhere along the line.

"oxygenating bio filter nutrient" would only work as a label for AN or AP really not so much for other things as it could legitimately be used for that purpose (historically AN was used now either liquid ammonia or ammonium sulfate)

Ill be at the airport today and as usual I will be tested not just by a crotch sniffer but also swabbed and they never pick up anything (not even when I have been playing with nitrated organics) only time they have picked up anything was when I was once playing with ammonium chloride and oncew when I had transfered 25kg of AN from a sack to 2 containers

Thanks Al, another supplier new to me, and apparently one that can beat Travis! :blink: Not much use to the Aussies though.

I'll bet Travis will match it :)

"oxygenating bio filter nutrient" has been known to get through with no worries... I'm talking small quantities though like a kilo or something.

I've never heard of anything being confiscated that has been imported into Australia.

my rice hulls got confiscated,lol but they didnt have a problem with dark al oz customs are pretty funny. Edited by jimbo

Im tempted to try and get some AP in

I know exactly why your rice hulls got confiscated because it is a plant based product with no country of origin (or a country with possible pests or diseases) Im going to guess you got it from bangcock pyro ? they are completely unreliable on any order of ~5kg or more things get lossed miss declared never posted ect

on a side note if you still need rice hulls let me know I know were I can get them cheap (dont actually know the price but very cheap) and we can exploit a loop hole in the AUS post system a tough bag GL is not priced by dimension but by weight and I think fully expanded they may be able to hold about 20L anyway let me know if you want some and ill pick some up next time Im getting grains

Ralph, is all that cheap AP keeping you up at night? :)

Drooling just alittle would certainly be great to have an expendable amount (I have rationed mine so I can do all the experiments I want and a couple things that have been done (strobe rockets, blue whistle)

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

On a similar note to the original question - is KCLO4 suitable for use as a substitute oxidiser in strobe compositions instead of NH4ClO4?

Cheers for your help,

EP

(newb to the site)

Hey guys,

On a similar note to the original question - is KCLO4 suitable for use as a substitute oxidiser in strobe compositions instead of NH4ClO4?

Cheers for your help,

EP

(newb to the site)

Sorry but AP is needed for strobe rockets. Strobe stars on the other hand can be made with Barium and Potassium Nitrate...

-dag

Sorry but AP is needed for strobe rockets. Strobe stars on the other hand can be made with Barium and Potassium Nitrate...

-dag

...and strontium nitrate, too (for red and pink strobes)! ;)

WSM B)

-dag

What happens if someone makes up a "strobe" rocket with a strobe star comp made with Nitrate? Too long burn? No strobe?

Edited by Juiceh