APC Forum

Best comp for tail

pillyg

Hi, i have rockets that work good but i want to add a tail. What would be the best thing to use. Ti, FeTi, Al, or Fe?

It's a matter of preference and desired variety of tail, but Ti gives a very nice effect. Only add Ti to the increments of comp that are above the spindle, it will still give a good tail but without chewing up your tooling.

I agree with NH Ti is certainly brilliant personally ive never been sold on FeTi. al can look quite decent especially if you use a glitter formula in your delay section(one with no or little amount of delay agent so as not to catastrophically clog the nozzle) though my personal favorite when not showing off to anyone is good old iron (or steal or cast iron what ever ive got my grubby fingers on at the time) its gentle golden sparks branch gracefully as the rocket takes off leaving nothing but a golden smear through the sky , also its cheap :)

You know? I have a hard time getting iron around here. I can get Ti, MgAl, Al but good old iron is tough to find. We dont have any brake turning shops anymore. Sigh.

so if I put the tail comp above the cored fuel, it will still make a tail even though the main fuel doesnt have any glitter?

For Iron, you can get it from instant cold packs. I made a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcsJWerUi68 (second rocket)

so if I put the tail comp above the cored fuel, it will still make a tail even though the main fuel doesnt have any glitter?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gcsJWerUi68 (second rocket)

Yes

BJV

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gcsJWerUi68 (second rocket)

Heat Packs you mean.

Yes, as BJV says. If you can still see the spindle when you are done pressing the top increment of fuel, the next increment can have the delay with metal in it and it will light at the same time as the main fuel starts. It is about as safe as it gets and it stupid simple.

75:15:10 with Ti or Al burns fast enough that 2-3 increments will act as the bulkhead so you dont have to lift the dead weight and have it Jart back down when spent.

Ok

yes i did mean hot packs :)

What percent metal should i use 30%?

You know? I have a hard time getting iron around here. I can get Ti, MgAl, Al but good old iron is tough to find. We dont have any brake turning shops anymore. Sigh.

Ill trade ya I can

get 4,0 60, 100 and 325mesh iron powders and various other kinds at other times

I just had the rear drums turned on the 1 ton last week and didn't even think to ask for the turnings.:blush:

They cut heads, rotors, drums and blocks every day but Sunday. I'll for sure ask the next time I'm in there.

I am probably going to buy FeTi. It is cheaper than plain Ti. Is there a difference in the sparks or will it work the same?

I am probably going to buy FeTi. It is cheaper than plain Ti. Is there a difference in the sparks or will it work the same?

TI: bright white sparks

FeTi: yellow-white sparks

BJV

Ah I see. Watched some Youtube videos. Its pretty hard to tell that they are yellow but its definitely there.