APC Forum

general star questions--newbee

plener

i have not done much homework on pyro--but have some pyro experience---the vocabulary is kind of new to me so if i use the wrong work keep it in mind

i know about stars and how to make basic ones it is the complicated ones i am asking about

lets say i want to have a star burst into a bunch of white stars but starting with yellow with a long tail ( i think what i mean is called a tiger tail?)

to make a star to do this i assume

1. start with the star that is going to burst into smaller ones

2. cover it with a layer ( build it up) with a composition that is yellow colored and has charcoal--maybe antimony,large aluminium/magnesium flakes--to create the tail effect

question is how to make the inner star burst open and have smaller spheres of white light flashes--how do you make something small that bursts open and is filled with these smaller stars--are they cylinders like a firecracker? or what?--is there a specific name for this type of star?

also there must be some limiting factor as to size and the sphere they fit in---that is a 3 inch shell holds a lot less that a 6 inch shell--so that trying this effect in a 3 inche shell would not really look kool

anyway any help is appreciated--pointers to urls about this question are appreciated--searched youtube but nothing specific

once agin thanks

peter

Look up some videos of dragon eggs and crosettes and tell us which one you're looking to make. From your description it sounds like it could be either.

It sounds to me like you talking about a shell of shells. These consist of a larger shell containing many smaller shells. In this case the inner shells will have comets pasted onto them. This video will give you an idea of if this is what you're looking for. You'll have to use your imagination to put in the tails.

6" is about the bare minimum you can really do this effect in. From research and observation, for ball shells you probably want somewhere in the vicinity of 25-30 insert shells per full shell. A 6" shell will hold around 26 1.5" shells

Before you get too ahead of yourself, you should probably be aware that you can't use plastic shells for this effect. They are prone to going off in or near the burst due to the pressures and heat exerted on them.

As far as directions on how to do this, you're going to have to shell out some money. Passfire would be a decent resource. FAST by Shimizu would be probably the best resource.

As far as directions on how to do this, you're going to have to shell out some money. Passfire would be a decent resource. FAST by Shimizu would be probably the best resource.

Oh I don't really think that's necessary, but it's always good advice to do more research. All that's required is to throw the small shells into the larger hemi just like you would oversized stars. I've seen it done very successfully with commercial ball shells used as inserts. Cut the lift off and they're good to go.

I still think it sounds like he's looking for a dragon egg or pop glitter type effect with some big metal sparks in the mix that look like 'white stars'.

question is how to make the inner star burst open and have smaller spheres of white light flashes--how do you make something small that bursts open and is filled with these smaller stars--are they cylinders like a firecracker? or what?--is there a specific name for this type of star?

this also sounds like a strobe. He could also be talking about crossettes too.

Plener, the first time I made strobes they turned out really cool. First try. Im still a newbie compared to most everyone else in here. Just stick around you'll get your answers.

got it!!! it sounds like a crossettes and i figured out how to physically make them--in essence thaey are a star covered with a composition for another star--create the inner--make sudre absolutely dry==but in roller type thing and add a slurry of the outer star mixture and slowly build up the thickness--lots of time and more important patience vola!!!!!

got it!!! it sounds like a crossettes and i figured out how to physically make them--in essence thaey are a star covered with a composition for another star--create the inner--make sudre absolutely dry==but in roller type thing and add a slurry of the outer star mixture and slowly build up the thickness--lots of time and more important patience vola!!!!!

Hmm...No not quite. These are crossettes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMSOrTMkYSs

They can be made smaller to fit inside of shells. They are made with a special star pump which leaves a cavity in the star. That cavity is filled with a powerful break charge, similar to a small shell, then the hole is pasted over with a disc and paper. The crossette burns from one end, and bursts when the flame reaches the cavity.

You just described color changing stars.

Do us all a favor, go on you tube and find a video of exactly what you want. Then we can be of a lot more help.