APC Forum

Paraffin Wax substitutes

xBangergoosEx

Everyone knows the Legendary Smoke Bomb composition (3g KNO3 2g Sugar 2g paraffin wax) but i noticed that petroleum jelly is also called paraffin jelly. Can jelly be used instead of wax in this smoke mix?

wax is far cheaper and very readily available (unless your a 12 year old kid and can get petroleum jelly out of the medicine cabinet but cant stroll down to the shops and pick up some wax) and known to work well . I haven't tried it but I have a feeling that it would just create a yellow flame like petrol burning as it ignites much more easily than wax

It's one of those things where you never know until you try it. My instincts tell me that wax would be better, but the jelly could work too. It probably functions by both cooling the flame somewhat, as well as vaporizing to provide extra smoke. As others have mentioned, I'd be worried about the vaseline combusting or maybe clogging the nozzle/choking the burn. Given that mineral oil greatly retards combustion, the vaseline may function similarly.

It's probably worth a try at least. Making it similar to whistle mix, where the vaseline is dissolved in a solvent to distribute may help getting an even mix. Even then the mix will probably not be very solid