APC Forum

21mm tubes on 3/4"/1lb tooling

mabuse00

Hi,

after some recent succes with some little 15mm BP cored Rockets with an improvised wooden tooling I decided to try something decent in the next summer. It has to be BP, got no room for a press.

One problem for me is getting proper tubes. I'd like to be independent from pyro suppliers.

A Fellow student of mine works in a store, and I recently asked him to look out for any paper tube he can get hold on.

I've just got lots of very strong 21mm tubes with 5mm walls.

Now imagine i get a 19,7mm, 20mm, or 3/4 inch tooling, and use it on my 21mm tubes.

I might get it centered with some adapter ring over the end of the spindle.

Do you have any experience if that will work properly? There will be a small gap between rammer and tube...

How critical is the exact match between tooling and tube?

Another question:

Can you give me some hint where I can get some rocket tooling, and maybe paper tubes, in Europe (or maybe HK?), or even better, within the EU?

Most offers are from the US, but shipping and customs are as expensive as the tooling itself...

Edited by mabuse00

What is HK?

Are your tubes spiral wound or parallel? How long are the tubes? Can you get a support sleeve that fits?

Our tools are designed to fit perfectly on our tubes, ± 0.2 mm can already be troublesome.

Why would you be independent from pyro suppliers? the tubes we offer are specially made for these purposes.

What is HK?

Hong Kong

Are your tubes spiral wound or parallel?

Spiral wound.

Can you get a support sleeve that fits?

I've got 22mm Alu Pipe, ID 19mm. I might sand a piece carefully down on both sides, I should get this done somehow.

Or much simpler, put a pice of shrinking tube over the spindle.

± 0.2 mm can already be troublesome.

Troublesome HOW? Assuming my adapter sleeve Idea works - the only remaining trouble will be the gap between rammer and tube. If that is any trouble at all...? Half a mm? The Fuel will squeeze a little upwards...?

Does somebody has experience on that problem?

Why would you be independent from pyro suppliers?

Don't get me wrong. You deserve your business, that's not my problem.

That problem is that any little bit of DIY Pyro is a major felony in my country. You not allowed to own a single gramm of BP.

And why should somebody order something from your shop, when he's not intending to commit a crime? Decoration maybe...:lol:

Some day the german police asks the dutch tax office to get a list of your german customers...

Whould you sell me your stuff "off the books"...?

We don't sell anything "off the books", that's impossible.

The dutch tax office don't have any information about our customors, and it's impossible for them to get those.

I've sent 2 times to hong kong, both were rocket tools orders. I believe he didn't had to pay taxes to the customs.

Spiral wound tubes normally are not ok for the job.

If you use a rammer that is too small, that gap between the rammer and the tube will not be tightly compacted like the rest of the fuel. When the motor fires up the compacted core will not be tightly confined, it will crack under the pressure, fire will go down the crack and ignite the loose fuel, and your motor will explode.

And why should somebody order something from your shop, when he's not intending to commit a crime? Decoration maybe...:lol:

You answered your own question. Make a nice little box frame to hold your tooling when you're not using it, and hang it on the wall. If a policeman questions it, tell him you are an avant-garde artist and this unique sculpture is for sale at a special price of only 2,500 Euros.