APC Forum

FILLER (inexpensive)

oldguy

Remember, a newbie here. So, I am a little ignorant of various aspects of this fine art. But learning.

My question is, if you wanted to slow down the burn rate of a Barium & Strontium Nitrate, Mg/Al based 12 inch ground flare composition.

What would a good inexpensive filler be?

I may be wrong, but I’m thinking either diatomaceous earth or calcium carbonate.

Just thought I would ask, before I try either.

I realize a “filler” will cut down luminosity to some degree.

Of course, depending on how much is included in the composition.

Hi,

I tried the sawdust method and it worked fine for me. 10%, fine stuff from a sander.

CaCO3 is not a good idea, at least not for a green composition, as it emitts some reddish color itself.

make the flare smaller or shorter that formula I sent you is pretty slow

calcium carb will ruin the oxygen and chlorine balance of a composition

diatomaceous earth would probably work alright

My question is, if you wanted to slow down the burn rate of a Barium & Strontium Nitrate, Mg/Al based 12 inch ground flare composition.

What would a good inexpensive filler be?

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking either diatomaceous earth or calcium carbonate.

Just thought I would ask, before I try either.

I realize a "filler" will cut down luminosity to some degree.

Of course, depending on how much is included in the composition.

I believe the fusee method will work; sawdust and a little mineral oil will slow the burn without greatly diminishing the color output. On another approach, I've added hexamine to color star compositions and besides deepening the color, the burn rate was slowed down (too much for stars but for a flare it may work).

A couple places to start...:)

WSM B)

I have a Lacquer Red comp that uses hexamine to slow it down and brighten it up. I have used it for rockets as the delay portion (long delay) and as cut stars. The nice thing about using hexamine is that you can add it a pinch at a time to get it to where you want it.

One UK compounder was well known for using wood meal in most compounds to slow them, Alternatively change some of the nitrate for carbonate say 10 - 50% of the nitrate replaced by the same metal but the carbonate salt.

that formula I sent you is pretty slow

I did not have any Potassium benzoate on hand for the formula you sent me.

I have some on order & it should arrive today, or the next.

BTW, thanks again for going to the trouble to formulate, test that comp & sending it.

That was very kind of you.

I am truly amazed at the high level of expertise you PRO level guys have.

My hat is off to all of you. Especially so about all your willingness to share the little nuances & secrets of your fine art.

Funny, over the span of my career as a mining engineer I have probably used 50 miles of fuse, spitter cord, 100 miles of wire & every sort of Det cord, Non/E & E ignition system one could imagine. Not to mention loaded/shot a big train load worth of HE, in quarry shots, smooth wall contour blasting, driving large bore tunnels, shafts, raises & the like.

Lol, now retired I am making sparklers & ground flares. :P Oh well, one has to start somewhere, before launching pyrotechnics skyward.:)

Edited by oldguy