APC Forum

Do you use a rocket rack for your 1 lb. rockets?

Guest no6

While waiting for my new camcorder I've thought about making a rocket rack. Have any of you done this or do you just fire your rockets from a mortar tube?

I'd love to see your designs or maybe you can point me to a good thread.

I usually stick a long enough section of pvc pipe in the ground. I've seen people use 3-4" mortars for consumer sized rockets, but I prefer something that is a closer fit to the stick.

Just be careful if using pvc on whistle rockets. Pvc shatters, don't want to have that happen on a cato. The one that my friend uses for his whistles is basically a long metal (don't know what kind) pipe that is fairly heavy with a plate on the bottom. It's not too heavy, but enough weight to keep it down. He shoots 1-6lb rockets from it.

This is a place where PVC is really useful. The motors CATO outward and not down so the PVC is unaffected.

Here is my virgin rack for the club spring shoot.

post-9798-0-02405000-1295144535_thumb.jpg

Just be careful if using pvc on whistle rockets. Pvc shatters, don't want to have that happen on a cato. The one that my friend uses for his whistles is basically a long metal (don't know what kind) pipe that is fairly heavy with a plate on the bottom. It's not too heavy, but enough weight to keep it down. He shoots 1-6lb rockets from it.

unless for some stupid reason you put your rocket in the tube there is like no chance of the pvc being damaged in anyway other than scorching from a CATO (which usually happens anyway)

I use a long 2" mortar to fire anything from 6mm right upto 19mm (I haven't launched anything bigger)

I really like the simplicity and compactness of that idea.

This is a place where PVC is really useful. The motors CATO outward and not down so the PVC is unaffected.

That's very nice.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever known of anyone being hit by a spent rocket coming back down?

That's very nice.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever known of anyone being hit by a spent rocket coming back down?

not me one of the advantages of a largish header

Does it blow everything to smithereens then?

never seen stick come down (dosnt mean that its destroyed just that you cant see the wood from trees) but it would almost definitely be removing the cardboard motor which would make the stick float down gently rather than as a spear.

That's very nice.

I've heard of some close calls, but never heard of anyone being hit by casing and stick. I've seen large rockets act like lawn darts, enough to cause concern about them on their way down.

We did the pickup of rockets last PGI convention, there were plenty of stories of damaged vans and such from rockets falling down and discussion about requirements for separation of motor from the stick. Time will tell if this will be mandatory.

Nice looking virgin rack Dagabu... I can't believe I just said that :blink:

Anyway, it looks like your PVC is small enough that no rocket and header of any size will fit down inside of it. At worst case any CATO's will be above the pipe. Of course you guys talk about "largish headers", could that still throw some pipe around?

Edited by killforfood

I have had plenty of rocket motors come back with the stick still attached. They are moving pretty quick and hit with a loud thud. When there is no wind,and shot at 90 degrees they usually come back within 50 feet of where it was ignited. These are rockets that have color headers, as well as a large heavy report. When shooting report rockets in the daylight its easy enough to spot the remains coming back and avoid them, not so at night. Anwyays, this is why you should always angle your rockets away from the croud, spectators or yourself. I would suggest 5 degrees or so, just enough to get it out there and away.

I just use a piece of steel conduit pipe about 5' long, attached to several layers of 3/4" plywood. The plywood is square, stacked with the hole drilled in the middle to accept the conduit. Its easy to carry, set at the right angle and you just put it on the ground and go.

That's very nice.

Never have known anyone being hit by a spent rocket coming back down but it is something I am always very concerned about. I am very fearful of the potential damage it could cause. It's one of several safety considerations in pyrotechnics and would be a nightmare come true for me if one of my spent rockets (or yours) struck and hurt someone.

Even the smaller rockets are of concern. I have found some of my spent 8 oz BP rockets, stick attached, stuck in the ground like a lawn dart, top of the tube went 1/2 - 1" deep. I have heard my 1# and 3# ones hit the ground and find them stuck in similar fashion or the upper 1/3 of the tube looking like an accordian. A lot of force when these hit the ground.

Just make sure you are shooting your rockets in an open area away from people, houses and vehicles. If one of these were to hit a person in the head it could kill them. This includes not shooting in town and over populated areas. Don't be a show-off and shoot your rockets over a crowd across the street that is watching the public display or a football game. Some of my verbage here is blunt, I don't know how else to effectively state it so please don't take it as a personal attack or anything.

As long as you put some thought into where you are shooting you will be okay.

Never have known anyone being hit by a spent rocket coming back down but it is something I am always very concerned about. I am very fearful of the potential damage it could cause. It's one of several safety considerations in pyrotechnics and would be a nightmare come true for me if one of my spent rockets (or yours) struck and hurt someone.

Even the smaller rockets are of concern. I have found some of my spent 8 oz BP rockets, stick attached, stuck in the ground like a lawn dart, top of the tube went 1/2 - 1" deep. I have heard my 1# and 3# ones hit the ground and find them stuck in similar fashion or the upper 1/3 of the tube looking like an accordian. A lot of force when these hit the ground.

Just make sure you are shooting your rockets in an open area away from people, houses and vehicles. If one of these were to hit a person in the head it could kill them. This includes not shooting in town and over populated areas. Don't be a show-off and shoot your rockets over a crowd across the street that is watching the public display or a football game. Some of my verbage here is blunt, I don't know how else to effectively state it so please don't take it as a personal attack or anything.

As long as you put some thought into where you are shooting you will be okay.

Wow. No offense taken. Thank you very much for your post.

I use a method similar to nater. No cato's have caused damage, but I have had some slow MgAl motors melt the heck out of the pipe.

A couple years back i shot a BP 1lb'er with SL mushy tubes, it came down on a flat piece of 2x6(pine) and left about a 1/4" deep ring imprint in the wood. Now, this wood was scrap in the field, but it was stained and sealed, so it was still near original strength. Definitely not something I want coming down on my head. I strongly recommend that anyone in the fallout zone wear a hard hat and safety glasses, or an old fireman helmet w/ face shield (D). Chances are that by the time the spent casing is coming down you'll have your head tilted to its normal position so the hard hat will protect you.

Edited by WonderBoy

I use a method similar to nater. No cato's have caused damage, but I have had some slow MgAl motors melt the heck out of the pipe.

A couple years back i shot a BP 1lb'er with SL mushy tubes, it came down on a flat piece of 2x6(pine) and left about a 1/4" deep ring imprint in the wood. Now, this wood was scrap in the field, but it was stained and sealed, so it was still near original strength. Definitely not something I want coming down on my head. I strongly recommend that anyone in the fallout zone wear a hard hat and safety glasses, or an old fireman helmet w/ face shield (D). Chances are that by the time the spent casing is coming down you'll have your head tilted to its normal position so the hard hat will protect you.

Good recommendation about a hard hat in the rocket area, I suggest one with a broad brim. When testing a single rocket a rack is overkill (unless there are a lot of you and many rockets are happening :wub: ). A 5' piece of thinwall electrical conduit (EMT) stabbed into the ground usually makes a good launch tube for a single shot. A CATO normally doesn't damage or launch the tube, but it could. Getting behind some kind of barrier isn't a bad idea for experimental or large rocket tests.

Have fun, be safe and do it lots more...:D

WSM B)

iv'e always just glued a welding filler rod int a hole with an interference fit in a piece of wood, taped a couple of balloon sticks around my motor and just dropped that over the welding rod, i also drill two wholes bisecting each other perpendicularly to put the ignitor in

iv'e always just glued a welding filler rod int a hole with an interference fit in a piece of wood, taped a couple of balloon sticks around my motor and just dropped that over the welding rod, i also drill two wholes bisecting each other perpendicularly to put the ignitor in

Cool. Post up a picture of this rocket rack.