APC Forum

Valid E-mail reminder

killforfood

Our rules clearly state that you must have a valid E-mail address to be a member.

We've had an upsurge in the number of members who are failing to provide a valid E-mail address when registering, or are requesting an E-mail address change to an invalid address.

If we receive system notice of an invalid address, that account will be suspended until it's changed to a valid address.

Please check your E-Mail address on file with us, and update it if necessary. Thank you!

Why would someone intentionally provide a false e-mail?

As long as mine is kept private, I don't see the advantage???

simple kilforfood, if a terrorist was to get a bomb recipie of here, they then have an email adress wich the police can use to track him as modems thesedays, tend to have gps's in them

simple kilforfood, if a terrorist was to get a bomb recipie of here, they then have an email adress wich the police can use to track him as modems thesedays, tend to have gps's in them

Tee-Hee! Anybody here had a dial-up modem in the last five years? Anybody have a GPS receiver in their modem? Now dont confuse a GPS tracking device with a GPS receiver. Tracking devices require a warrant, case law has already been established on privacy invading devices.

I hate to tell you but no law enforcement would attempt to use a built in GPS since they receive, not transmit. They are static devices, they do not broadcast. Your phone broadcasts the data accumulated by the GPS, but that is not the same and the GPS can be turned off if you wish. If someone were to make a bomb from plans that they found here and the cops were to track the data stream back to the computer or data link, they would use the IP address and likely use the cameras and receipts from the coffee shop that the perp linked up to the internet with.

then why does facebook do it?

Linking to email addresses with accounts is typically a tool used to prevent spam bots and fake users in general I believe.

they then display that info in 'places i checked into' if you know where to look

thats only on smart phones most modems do not contain a gps module these cost money and would not be added to a modem

Valid emails are required so that bozos who use invalid ones and then subscribe to a shitload of topics don't cause me untold aggravation when I have to clear out the server email box with all the bounces.

Does that address the issue?

Oh, and when you make a post using the Rich Text Editor...... check to be sure you've closed all the formatting tags like bold, eh?