APC Forum

"Dark Salutes" Pretty Amazing

ghost808

Yes all the energy produced by a reaction powerful enough to give a report must be dissipated somehow and much of this is usually as light it is almost impossible not to get light coming off it and I have a strong suspicion that traditional dark report would emmit strongly in either the IR or UV spectrum's

a properly chlorinated magnesium report composition with sufficiently fine magnesium (so as to have no unreacted particles present when the casing ruptures) would be dark despite you frustratingly saying 3 times over that it would not

Hey Ralph, even though you still need some punctuation, that was nice and readable. Cheers.

I have an additional question about this comp.

I saw it mentioned that you should have somewhere along the lines of ten years of experience before working with this comp.

I understand the hazards of chlorate-sulfur-antimony, but I can't help but wonder what difference it would make having 1 year or 10 years of experience, as long as proper mixing procedures were followed. What does additional experience protect you from?

Andy

I have an additional question about this comp.

I saw it mentioned that you should have somewhere along the lines of ten years of experience before working with this comp.

I understand the hazards of chlorate-sulfur-antimony, but I can't help but wonder what difference it would make having 1 year or 10 years of experience, as long as proper mixing procedures were followed. What does additional experience protect you from?

Andy

Additional experience provides additional knowledge and understanding. It also allows a person to learn additional safety practices - which should simply direct you away from such comps.

All I know is that I need a good dozen years behind me yet before I am going to mess with this stuff... if ever.

• 3 weeks later...
I was just thinking about it... Could you just use normal whistle mix for the same effect? Not saying that i would... but i figure because theres no aluminum or any chemical that gives that "flash"

Whistle, while not as bad as flash, still gives off a noticeable amount of light when used in stand alone salutes. Perhaps using potassium benzoate and potassium perchlorate would work better. The ones I've seen were all sodium fueled, so there was that noticeable yellow flash. The lilac of potassium is much less vibrant.

Whistle, while not as bad as flash, still gives off a noticeable amount of light when used in stand alone salutes. Perhaps using potassium benzoate and potassium perchlorate would work better. The ones I've seen were all sodium fueled, so there was that noticeable yellow flash. The lilac of potassium is much less vibrant.

I agree with mumbles as to whistle mix. I've used granular whistle mix to break specialty 3" crossette comets because of a desire to avoid the garish light of flash when the crossette breaks. For dark flash I've used 50:50 potassium chlorate:antimony sulfide. If concerned about any acid problems, add 0.1% barium carbonate to the mix. This mix also makes a particularly pleasing deep boom sound when it goes off :wub: .

WSM B)

Edited by WSM