APC Forum

Substituting Chemicals in stars?

ghost808

I was just wondering what happens if you were to substitute strontium carbonate for strontium nitrate and vise versa. Like what would be the effects in the star if you were to substitute it.

Eg.

Ruby red

Strontium nitrate: 50

Potassium perchlorate: 8

Parlon: 18

Magnalium: 12

Charcoal (airfloat): 5

Sulfur: 5

Red Gum: 2

Dextrin: 5

TO

Ruby red

Strontium carbonate: 50

Potassium perchlorate: 8

Parlon: 18

Magnalium: 12

Charcoal (airfloat): 5

Sulfur: 5

Red Gum: 2

Dextrin: 5

What do you think or "know" would happen?

Also does this effect apply with other chemicals such as barium nitrate and barium carbonate etc.

I was just wondering because i don't know what to buy. Whats cheaper or whats written in the formula. (Short on $ right now)

Would the color be not as bright or would the formula not ignite. No idea thats why i'm asking!

Edited by ghost808

wouldn't burn well strontium carbonate wouldn't function correctly as an oxidiser under these conditions leaving your composition severely oxygen deficient

As Ralph said, the nitrate in the comp you posted is there as an oxidizer and a colour donor. If you switched it for carbonate, should produce colour, but would not burn well, if at all.

The chems needed for ruby red (a great star IMO), are all pretty basic and required for a lot of stars. If $$ is an issue and you are just getting started, then why not go for the BP based stars and some glitters? They are great too and an excellent place to get started.

Also does this effect apply with other chemicals such as barium nitrate and barium carbonate etc.

I was just wondering because i don't know what to buy. Whats cheaper or whats written in the formula. (Short on $ right now)

Strontium Nitrate, $2.00 a pound...

LINK

wow nice you must have baught a fair bit

I bet the neibours are seeing red :D

LOL!! That was really bad Ralph. But I like it! :D