APC Forum

High Definition Camcorder

BJV

Yes, Sony VEGAS will save the movie in its original format, H.256 .MP4 but since the .MP4 (.MPG4) file format that is used by most cameras is *Apple owned, Microsoft is not allowed to include the codec in their software. Personally, I hate Quicktime and would do anything to stay away from it.

Interesting that you should mention the quality difference, *Apple Quicktime uses Initial Object Descriptors (IOD) in its codec but otherwise is essentially identical to the .MOV file.

i can't open mp4 format to edit it with sony vegas :angry:

i google it and other people has problems with this format..maybe sony vegas doesn't support this format..

For those of you who have a mac use Imovie. You can do plenty in that app. Unless you are getting paid to make videos or making super duper high quality videos, imovie will do everything you need.

Windows computers just aren't media machines. They are really made to crunch tons of data and work on every computer. They are good for converting video, but not really editing, especially on the low end machines.

Windows computers just aren't media machines. They are really made to crunch tons of data and work on every computer.

I would have agreed with you 100% before they started using Intel procs but now there is zero difference when using the same software.

I'm talking like the business and server end mostly. If one were to run a home or small business server, you would do it with windows.

I have had my GO-PRO HD for over a year and have never taken any fireworks footage worth a damn. There is no focus issue as it is a fish eye, there is no shutter issue as it is 100% electronic, it just has horrible night time abilities.

I will be taking snowmobile footage in two days with it and that is where it is amazing!! I water ski and jet ski with it too and it amazing there as well. DO NOT be tempted to use this for night time fireworks!! This is a daytime only camera.

Oh, and it s teeny-tiny thing, 2" long by 1.5" deep and 1.5" tall and comes in an enclosure that is bulletproof. REALLY!!

VIDEO

I would have agreed with you 100% before they started using Intel procs but now there is zero difference when using the same software.

Apart from price :)

I recently specced up a mac to match my PC which I use for video editing amongst other things. It came out at more than $8000.

Needless to say I didn't pay any way near that for my PC : )

Oh, and it s teeny-tiny thing, 2" long by 1.5" deep and 1.5" tall and comes in an enclosure that is bulletproof. REALLY!!

VIDEO

Nice vid.

Ever thought about attaching it to a rocket? A dummy shell even?

Nice vid.

Ever thought about attaching it to a rocket? A dummy shell even?

Yes, its going up over my dads lake this summer on a 3# hybrid inside a NERF ball. I saw a mod for an early go-pro where a NERF ball is cut in half, hollow it out to fit the camera inside, make a hole for the lens, turn it on, tape it up and launch it.

It should be pretty fun.

No, not useless, you just need to know the imitations, that's all. It takes nice video of exploding racks. ;) Edited by dagabu

Yes, its going up over my dads lake this summer on a 3# hybrid inside a NERF ball. I saw a mod for an early go-pro where a NERF ball is cut in half, hollow it out to fit the camera inside, make a hole for the lens, turn it on, tape it up and launch it.

It should be pretty fun.

Very cool, I look forward to seeing that.

If all goes well I still think you should put it in a mortar :D

• 1 month later...

Here's the first video of fireworks I have taken with my camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvFChnrdV-g

That is actually significantly below the full quality the camera is capable of. I was having editing trouble and had to reformat all the clips, which obviously takes away a lot. I'm very happy with the job it did. I just set the focus manual and stuck it in infinite for the whole shoot. Worked great.

If I had one complaint it would be that opening and closing the viewing screen is a pain with gloves on in the dark.

Looks good NHIL. you must have been recording from the line huh? I would like to see what it does from 500-600 feet away.

Looks good NHIL. you must have been recording from the line huh? I would like to see what it does from 500-600 feet away.

I would also. It's just too hard to tell when shells are going off from that distance. They announce them over the radio, but often that's as a shell is already leaving the gun, or a few minutes early. If I had a power adapter for a vehicle I could have another camera record the entire shoot from that distance, which would be very nice. Just more monies to spend. I do plan on purchasing a second camera eventually, but it's low priority right now.

• 10 months later...