APC Forum

Ideas for new year

melle34

I thought i was going to make some stuff for new years. I don't have acsess to that much chemicals and other things. here's a list

potassium nitrate (can only buy in bags of 25kg)

sugar(thats pretty oblivious)

charcoal

paper tubing(NOT PVC)

maybe sulfur

sparklers

something that i think is alumminum powder

kitty litter

glue(not hotglue)

some metal tubes with a plate base at the bottom(really heavy)

all ideas are welcome 2smile.gif

I thought i was going to make some stuff for new years. I don't have acsess to that much chemicals and other things. here's a list

charcoal

paper tubing(NOT PVC)

maybe sulfur

sparklers

kitty litter

glue(not hotglue)

Well, since you have kno3, charcoal, sulfur, kitty litter, and some paper tubes why not try to make some small blackpowder rockets? They are relatively simple to make, and take up small amounts of chemicals. I have no idea what you planned on doing with the sparklers, but I wouldn't try using those for anything other then there intended use, it's not very safe. If you want a good tutorial on making some small rockets, check out pyroguide. Usually with the small rockets you can get away with using a wooden dowel as a rammer and a hand drill (not an electric one) to drill out a nozzle.

charcoal

paper tubing(NOT PVC)

maybe sulfur

sparklers

kitty litter

glue(not hotglue)

I think You can do mines. It is relatively simple figures, so You can do it without any problems.

Cut or pumped charcoal stars for mines (thanks Pet), fountains (gerbs really) but unless you have some experience with making rockets already, you might as well start with the sure things first.

It might be a bit late to make stars for New Years. Certainly you can try, and if you can find the right place it is possible to get them dry in time, but I would not count on it. Do try though... I love stars.

I agree with Dagabu on Fountains. With excess charcoal in BP type mixes you can make gold sparks, and with Aluminium added you should get some nice silver (depending on what the grade of Al is).

I don't think making rockets is a bad idea though. While rockets take a bit more to get them working, you have to start making them at some point. It's pretty much expected the first ones are going to have "interesting" results, so as long as expectations are not too high...

Mille, What is your experience so far?