APC Forum

Is KMnO4 same as KClO4?

kababz

In the place Where I come from I have access to Potassium Permangenate [KMnO4] but not to Potassium Perchlorate [KClO4].

Both are very strong Oxidants, which release same amounts of Oxygen when heated (I think :o). Now, I know that KMnO4 is a bit more sensetive and stains everything, but the question refears to Pyro uses.

-Will I get same resaults, in terms of power, light, color, temp. and etc when using KMnO4 in formulas which refear to KClO4?

-When I use KMnO4 instead of KClO4, should I put same amount of KMnO4 as I whould put KClO4 (70/30 KMnO4/Al for instans for flash)?

Same to what??

NO YOU CAN'T!

KMnO4 is not rarely used in pyro.

Do NOT try to substitute chems in any case unless instructed to do so.

When I used KMnO4 as a subsitute for KClO4 I was greatly dissapointed. Most of the compisitions burned but incredibly slowly and in general were worse off. The compisitions that I tested were KMnO4/Hexamine, KMnO4/Charcoal and KMnO4/wax[not really a pyro compistion but I wanted to see what happened]. The exception to this is flash powder. I used really corse Aluminum powder[8mesh] so that if there was ever an accident I would only recieve minor injuries. KMnO4 flash powder is some impressive stuff.

Saftey wise I would recommend avoiding KMnO4 unless you plan on only using it for flash[even then I don't recommend this but hey its your hand]. If you really are in dire need of chlorate/perchlorate then look harder or make a chlorate/perchlorate cell. I never had any toxic poisioning issues or accidental ignition with Permanganate but there are "better" oxidizers out their or atleast ones that don't spontaneously combust when in contact with organic material.

edit: fixed some ggrammar

Ozzy, for the last time, don't post meaningless bullshit.

Since this isn't in the newbie section, this is getting locked. KMnO4 has no place in pure pyro. It is toxic, much more sensitive and has many more incompatabilites. If you arn't smart enough to figure out that KMnO4 and KClO4 are COMPLETELY different in many ways, you definatly should not even be thinking about using flash.