APC Forum

Whistle Rockets

ghost808

Hey guys so i really am interested in whistle rockets... I was wondering if you could press them with a normal steel bench vise clamp. I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on tools. But i'm hoping this would be apt for pressing...

Has anyone ever had success with this?

Or am i totally lost and need to get a press?

I've looked into this a little and I'll tell you what I got told.

Along the lines of "Whistle rockets can be very tricky to make, one thing you'll want to get is a decent toolset and a press to form the rockets." I think it was.

I'd also personally suggest, if you haven't had much experience with rockets try some basics first. I've recently been making 6:3:1 (KNO3:C:S) rockets of varying sizes, and through these trials and errors I've been able to learn about rocket basics before getting too deep into them.

If you look down in the 'Pyrotechnics Comps' I'm sure I saw some whistle rocket comps in there. But I understand it has a bit to do with tube size, pressure, etc.

As for the steel bench vice, I have one that rotates and can be used at many angles (basically making it an 'arbor' type press?) and I've used that on a couple of BP rockets. The thing is though, it's very hard to tell how much pressure you're applying, you'd need to get a gague or load cell I guess.

Suggested reading:

Here, here, here and probley more if you look deeper into the forum.

Hey guys so i really am interested in whistle rockets... I was wondering if you could press them with a normal steel bench vise clamp. I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on tools. But i'm hoping this would be apt for pressing...

Has anyone ever had success with this?

Or am i totally lost and need to get a press?

you can use a vice instead of a press on small rockets you can also use the search function

Also does anyone know the purpose of the vaseline and red iron oxide? Will the rocket still work?

I liek Ralphs answer too. Spend some time reading, the forums are well set out and it's not hard to find information. Also use the search function, it gives pretty good results.

Also does anyone know the purpose of the vaseline and red iron oxide? Will the rocket still work?

going a search will reveal these things if your not willing to check these things for your self than it shows a serious lack of commitment

iron oxide is a catalyst used to make it burn faster and increase performance it also affects the pitch

vaseline (or several other hydrocarbons may be used) is used to help maintain the integrity of the fuel grain after pressing and therefore reducing the likely hood of a cato and some say to reduce friction on the grains when being pressed those Im not sure if they are right or not

and search means type one or more keywords into the search bar and press the search button it brings up all the relevant posts on the topic you seek enlightenment on If you like I can write you a detailed tutorial on using the search function including some tips and tricks like which keywords are better than others

will the rocket still work ....... there are no conditions on your question

• Like 1

The red iron oxide is a catalyst. Look up danny creagan's website for more information about this, and other catalysts.

The vaseline is phlegmamatizer. It lowers friction, helps to consolidate the comp, and helps to keep the water out.

You may want to look into the rec.pyrotechnics archives on google. It is a wealth of information.

You can probably manage to make little whistle inserts with a vice. They don't have a lot of strength. As an alternative, you may want to look into getting an arbor press. Chinese imports are relatively inexpensive. I know you don't want to spend a lot of money, but this is not a cheap hobby. Neither in terms of monetary requirements, or research time required.

The red iron oxide is a catalyst. Look up danny creagan's website for more information about this, and other catalysts.

The vaseline is phlegmamatizer. It lowers friction, helps to consolidate the comp, and helps to keep the water out.

You may want to look into the rec.pyrotechnics archives on google. It is a wealth of information.

You can probably manage to make little whistle inserts with a vice. They don't have a lot of strength. As an alternative, you may want to look into getting an arbor press. Chinese imports are relatively inexpensive. I know you don't want to spend a lot of money, but this is not a cheap hobby. Neither in terms of monetary requirements, or research time required.

Mumbles, do you think I could get by making 3/8" whistles with a vice? I don't think I would make enough to justify the expense of a larger press, It would be more of a curiosity for me.

Ghost and Pyrokid,

I know you guys are all exited about making whistle rockets and such but you have to remember, whistle comp is something that you should approach carefully and with considerable thought. I suggest that you dont use a vice to make a whistle rocket, there is no way to get that kind of pressure from a vice unless you have a really big one.

Here is a for instance:

1 ton harbor presses have a 1" ram, with a .375" (3/8") rocket you have to apply 1266# of pressure to the rammer. A .5" rocket will need 2250# of pressure to achieve the 9000LPI you need to consolidate the fuel. That is WAY more then you can get from a 1 ton press.

A bottle jack is needed to approach the pressures needed for whistles and you need to have good tube supports as well, whistle rockets cannot be pressed without them. eBay has a bench style shop press for $99.00, I am sure you can get a similar one from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.

Hmmm...I've seen 5/8" whistles pressed on an arbor press before, and 1/2" ones, so 3/8" whistles and stuff should be cake on an arbor.

If you have access to a drill press you can use it for an arbor press (close the chuck or chuck up a piece of flat-ended stock for a ram). A half ton arbor press will adequately press a 3/8" whistle. The forces magnify when the ram surface area is pressing a smaller surface-area drift.

Pressing whistle mix is similar to pressing flash (a high energy composition that will easily and violently explode when a little activation energy is applied). I strongly recommend a polycarbonate safety shield be solidly attached to the press between the operator and the press.

WSMcool2.gif

Edited by WSM

so you can press flash powder in the same way that you can press whistle mix? That doesnt seem right, but what do i know.

You can press what ever you put into a press. If you want to press flash, you can, if you want to press dollar bills, go for it. I pressed titanium into a rocket nozzle.

You can press what ever you put into a press. If you want to press flash, you can, if you want to press dollar bills, go for it. I pressed titanium into a rocket nozzle.

at least oncewhistle.gif

pressed flash actually makes great high energy rockets we did them in 1/4" tubes they weren't supper reliable as far as catos went but the sure flew well

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I would like to know if it is obligatory to add vaseline and a catalyst for making a whistle rocket.I tryed pressing the 70/30 dry-mix without core,but no lift at all

Here is the result: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qjza4qviyh4 :angry:

Can anyone give me some useful tips?

Thank you!!!

Edited by Mnemotron

Hi,

I would like to know if it is obligatory to add vaseline and a catalyst for making a whistle rocket.I tryed pressing the 70/30 dry-mix without core,but no lift at all

Here is the result: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qjza4qviyh4 :angry:

Can anyone give me some useful tips?

Thank you!!!

Broken link... Try reposting it when you get a chance.

You dont need a catalyst or phlegmatizer to make whistle, but you want to ;)

The mineral oil or Vaseline help to make a solid fuel grain, make it much easier to handle and reduce its sensitivity. The catalyst is essential to making enough thrust.

Using Sodium Benzoate, Vaseline & Copper Oxychloride as the catalyst, 1500 grams of average thrust can be created in a 5/8" whistle cored rocket while only 600 grams of thrust can be made using no catalyst or phlegmatizer. Red Iron Oxide catalyst is almost identical in thrust as no catalyst or phlegmatizer as well.

http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/rockets/whistletests.html

Edited by dagabu

• 2 weeks later...
Great rocket! Seemed to be pretty high up there

cheers guys,yeah it was just the standard benzo/iron oxide whistle,but I'm going to be using copper oxychloride for lifting ball shells.

Very nice!

Tip: set your video camera manually to infinity. Auto-focus just won't cut it. ;)

yeah I will give it a go,its a new camera so I'll have to have a look into it.