APC Forum

High speed cameras

TrueBluePyro

G'day everyone,

I'm looking into investing in a high speed camera. There are some very cheap ones on the market that do work with full HD but once you start increasing the frames the resolution goes to crap.

I found these two cameras that don't look too bad for price, but the quality will go down with more frames.

Casio Exilim FH20

Casio Exilim FC150

If anyone can give me any guidance on what to get or what to look out for that would be great. :)

Thanks,

TBP

G'day everyone,

I'm looking into investing in a high speed camera. There are some very cheap ones on the market that do work with full HD but once you start increasing the frames the resolution goes to crap.

I found these two cameras that don't look too bad for price, but the quality will go down with more frames.

Casio Exilim FH20

Casio Exilim FC150

If anyone can give me any guidance on what to get or what to look out for that would be great. :)

Thanks,

TBP

I 've got the casio exilim ex fh25. It is a great camera for pictures, and the high speed function is fun. There are however some flaws with this camera, especially for filming pyro stuff.

some things to consider:

1: high speed function doesn't do wel in low light scenarios.

2: microphone is horrible, doesn't capture kabooms at all, 50 grams of hotflash sounds like a handclap

3:I ve got a clip of a flash salute filmed during daylight with the high speed function,see attached film clip.It was sized down significantly.

4: HD filming in dark is terrible. Lots of image noise, strange artifacts also.

I'd bought this camera to film my shells and all, but find myself resorting to my old camera instead, an old samsumg l201, which captures the sounds of lifts/breaks real good.

I am now looking into getting a good quality HD camcorder, to capture my stuff in good sound/visual quality.

Hope this helps a bit.

friendly pyro greetings,

Edited by fredhappy

HD resolution at >300fps makes for an insane data stream - you're not going to get much better than VGA resolution at this kind of speed without spending some serious cash.

The Casio EX-F1 looks like a good option, although it is on the expensive side...

All depends on your budget and what you want to prioritise - there are no good 'all round' cameras with all these capabilities at the moment.

How much do you think it would cost for a camera that is solely a high speed camera? Like at the cheaper end of the scale. I know the professional ones go for insane amounts.

How much do you think it would cost for a camera that is solely a high speed camera? Like at the cheaper end of the scale. I know the professional ones go for insane amounts.

Unfortunately I don't think there really is a cheap end of the scale for dedicated high-speed systems. As far as I know the EX-F1 is the highest-spec 'prosumer' camera, then after that there's a huge void before you get into multiple thousands of dollars territory. This will change in time, and there may be other models around but none that I've heard of, or could find after a quick search.

Check out the vid on the frontpage here:

http://www.mctcameras.com/

Some nice high-speed pyro clips here:

http://www.lucidmovement.com/?cat=25

Yea that video on http://www.mctcameras.com/front page is amazing and I bet the camera has an amazing price with it.

The Casio EX-F1 looks good, but it is now discontinued for some reason and was selling at $999, but if your able to find it sells at over $2000.

The next best thing is the Casio Exilim FH20 which records at 40 fps whereas the F1 is at 60 fps but the FH20 only costs about $300.

I think I'll look into getting that.