APC Forum

acids and peroxides

kaizoku

Is there an possibility to turn an acid : O into an peroxide: ?-C-O-O-H and vice versa??

.......................................................//

..................................................?- C -O-H

If so could someone one explain this to me because I am really really curious about this kind of chemical bonds.

Edited by kaizoku

Many peroxides and chems with peroxide links are less than stable. Please do a lot of hard copy research before trying things. -Hard Copy meaning from recognised text books. (SOME web sources are less than reliable)

I did not get this from internet because I have an book about chemistry like acids,bases,alkenes, alkanes, ect.

I got this book from my brother because he told me that it would be interesting for me and also good for me if i knew about it.

Since my last year school exams will be about it and I know I still have a long way to go and I still need to wait 2 years before

I will make it, but i was just curious about it, if it was possible to turn peroxides into acids and vice versa. I am not asking for an guide

to make an bomb or such because I am not going to make something like that and peroxides are dangerous.

I just want to know if it is possible or not and how it is made possible. And if no one wants to tell it to me it is fine by me.

Edited by kaizoku

If you really want to improve and expand your chemistry knowledge you better do this on chemistry orientated board than in the chemistry section of a pyro orientated board.

I think questions like these will be answered faster and more extended than here. Not that people here aren't capable of giving you a perfect answer but I'd just ask chemistry things on a chemistry board and pyro things on a pyro board. :P

Thanks for helping but I know that the people here know so much about anodes, I only know for example how it works so only the principle behind it but these guys know how it works and how to execute it.

that is why I thought that the people would know more about this.

Edited by kaizoku

It seems like an odd request as the chemicals really aren't all that useful, but they're not hard to make. As it has already been mentioned these types of chemicals are not extremely stable. Generally they are formed insitu if possible. There are a few available commercially but really not that useful outside of industry or for a few specialized chemical reactions.

Since it seems you just want to academically know about them, about all you need to know is that they're usually formed from the acid and hydrogen peroxide with a little sulfuric acid catalyst. They're useful for preparing epoxides from alkenes, and for bleaching and sanitizing purposes.

thanks but something off topic. why can catalysts be used over and over again ?

The very definition of a catalyst is a chemical that takes part in a reaction but remains unchanged at the end.The first example I came across in a google search was the breakdown of ozone by chlorine:

Cl + O3 → ClO + O2

ClO + O → Cl + O2

Notice the chlorine is the same going in as it is coming out.

Because they participate in the reaction but are not consumed by the reaction itself. They can undergo multiple chemical transformations but it's always possible to retrieve them so that they can be used again...and again...and again....

This is pretty basic stuff. You should be able to find plenty information on such topics pretty easy in books or on the internet (just by visiting wikipedia for example.)

EDIT:Lol I'm too slow. :P

Edited by rTr

That is a nice example thanks :). I always thought that catalysts were chemical substances that are just used in chemical reactions

without undergoing a reaction. But now that idea is put in my garbage can in my head :P.

It's a pretty common misconception that is halfway propagated by introductory chemistry courses. Overall they're not consumed, but in reality they're usually reacted and regenerated at the end of the cycle. I guess they way I think about it is how is a chemical going to modify a reaction if it doesn't somehow take place in it? The more you learn about chemistry, you'll find everything has an energy cost or requirement. Even the catalysts which are not chemically modified, just kind of act like a magnet to hold the substrate in a specific position has an energy associated with binding and unbinding.