APC Forum

A Few Uncommon Chemicals

NightHawkInLight

A few months back I received a box full of pyrotechnic chemicals, as well as some lab surplus. Here are the chemicals I'm not sure how best to use:

~40g Tetramethylammonium Perchlorate - (CH3)4NClO4 (This stuff is a HOT oxidizer. It gives a good pop just lightly mixed with charcoal.)

~1/3lb Lithium Cryolite

~2lb of each of the following:

Lithium Carbonate

Lithium Fluoride

Lithium Acetate Dihydrate

Lithium Bromide, Anhydrous

All 99.5 - 99.8% Pure

There's gotta be some interesting uses for these lithium compounds besides coloring liquid fire. I don't particularly care if the uses are pyro, anything interesting. The perchlorate I'm not sure how I want to deal with. I'm sure it has great pyro uses, but it's just such a small amount and when it's gone I'm probably never getting more. I need a good purpose for it.

Technically TMA perchlorate is not an oxidizer ;)

I know I have read about its use as a rocket propellant by itself somewhere...

What about it makes it not an oxidizer? It behaves like one from what I can tell.

C4H12NClO4

4x C

12xH

4x O

1xCl

By itself it is fuel rich, there is only enough oxygen to oxidize the carbon to CO, with all the hydrogen remaining un-oxidized.

lithium fluoride may work nicely in a toxic star comp with out the need for chlorine donor and lithium carb may look alright in a blue formula replacing copper carb with it (lithium like blues isnt happy at high temps) the other salts are very hygroscopic (not sure about the cryolite one that may not be)