APC Forum

Cheap Chinese Star Plates

pogue1000

Anyone used any of the cheaper chinese star plates like at skylighter and what there experience was?

http://www.skylighter.com/mall/tools.asp?fl=search#TL3006

I can find it cheaper than that obviously.

I am just too new to the hobby to drop money on one of the better wolter plates.

I am needing something a little more efficient to make some stars.

Thanks

They're servicable, though with time the pins will start to fall out but you can simply glue them back in with epoxy or something and they'll hold for a very long time. With mine, the pins started to fall out after 2 years.

That is where I was planning on getting it from.

Now what size should i pick up first.

I think i might go with 1/2". So far I have done 3's but plan on moving more into the 4-6" range.

Gotta get something ready for next club shoot in December

How about THESE $49.95

How about THESE $49.95

Wow! Those are cheap tools! Have you orderd from them before? I would love to have a cheap 1/2" rocket tooling set, or a star pump. Thoughts?

It looks like they only have one long rammer, but that dosn't matter too much right?

Wow! Those are cheap tools! Have you orderd from them before? I would love to have a cheap 1/2" rocket tooling set, or a star pump. Thoughts?

It looks like they only have one long rammer, but that dosn't matter too much right?

never ordered, they were highly recommended by another pyro.

The rocket tooling seems to have a short spindle so 1 rammer would be fine.

Well let me add my two cents.I'm a retired tool & die maker.I make all my own tooling & have for a few friends.

I'm not in business & don't plan to.

Now with that said I think the star plates are a deal.The plate is plastic but that,s not all bad & the pins are

brass.They most likely will last the average guy a few years.

The rocket tooling looks like junk.There is no taper on the spindle, for its just a pin.You could ram a tube

with out a spindle & run a drill bit in after & have the same thing.Plus the spindle looks very short.

Rockets are different cats all together.

Fly :whistle:

I've used them and they work acceptably. I would avoid sponge titanium and ferrotitanium with it though. Every so often I found we had to clean up the tooling a little bit with sandpaper on a dowel in the holes. I'd avoid most of the tooling except the star plates. The brass/bronze rocket and comet tooling isn't all that great of quality, and not worth the smaller price break compared to wolter or ben smith.

Those star plate are crap. I have three 6mm, 14mm and 18mm, 6mm and 14mm broken in half left only 18mm. Better save money and boght serious star plate it my offer for you ;) Edited by Arte valdo

Well, i figure if I just get a few shells out of it I will have my money back and be hooked to where I want to spend more on one.

Its not really a matter a money, its a matter of keeping the better half happy about a hobby she could care less about :wacko:

I've used them and they work acceptably. I would avoid sponge titanium and ferrotitanium with it though. Every so often I found we had to clean up the tooling a little bit with sandpaper on a dowel in the holes. I'd avoid most of the tooling except the star plates. The brass/bronze rocket and comet tooling isn't all that great of quality, and not worth the smaller price break compared to wolter or ben smith.

Would you still avoid the tooling even if I were only make make at most 1 rocket a week? I just think it would be cool to make little 1/2" BP rockets to lift small 1.5" can shells. It also fall into a good price range for gifts from grandparents.

Is a 1/2" rocket 8oz? I know 3/4" is 1# so it would be my best guess that half inch would be 8oz, but just checking. Also, what size shell would it be possible to lift with a 1/2" BP rocket?

1/2" is 4oz, 5/8" is 8oz.

I can't tell you what to do, those do have a very hard to pass up price. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Those star plate are crap. I have three 6mm, 14mm and 18mm, 6mm and 14mm broken in half left only 18mm. Better save money and boght serious star plate it my offer for you ;)

If you have broke them in half, you should do something about your skills. You must have rammed really hard on these plates, which is unnecessary.

Yes they are made of PVC and brass, but this makes them save as well. You don't have to be scared about spraks or anything.

And i think you can't compare these plates with bens or richs, but remember, these are used in china for decades.

If you have broke them in half, you should do something about your skills. You must have rammed really hard on these plates, which is unnecessary.

Yes they are made of PVC and brass, but this makes them save as well. You don't have to be scared about spraks or anything.

And i think you can't compare these plates with bens or richs, but remember, these are used in china for decades.

Sorry but my skills is good if I can broke star plate with my hand when I pushed out then, then sorry the quility is fuck. I do star plate my self from aliuminium, and it's better the chine crap. Do as you wanna I just said about my expierence..

1/2" is 4oz, 5/8" is 8oz.

I can't tell you what to do, those do have a very hard to pass up price. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Well I'll add them to my list. What size shell could I lift with a 4oz motor?

I agree with Arte_valdo, I did one 6mm - 90 holes  starplate by my self of aliuminium and brass and I am very happy . You don't need to think about your skills :P 

couse I can trust her! And it cost for me 25 £ (to convert from Litas to pounds)

PVC in starplate is not good solution..

this is my opinion.. good luck for everyone!!!! 

I would stay around festival shell size with 3/16" stars max.

I have some 1.5" hemis that I plan on using as headers once I get my 1/2" motors flying. The sources I have suggest 1-2 oz headers max.

Good for you friend ;) But this star plates are the same, skylighter buy from this site

Haha no they don't neither do I. This is a common starplate from china. Many chinese factories use these plates.