APC Forum

Home Built Muzzleloader

Xtreme Pyro

Ok, wasn't so sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong section, please move it.

Here's a 50 caliber percussion cap black powder muzzle loader me and my dad built from a kit. If you would like the name of the kit used, let me know and ill post it. The model of the gun is called a "Kentucky Long Rifle". The stock and forearm have a coat of walnut stain on it, with three coats of semigloss. I polished all of the brass and blued the barrel, in total it took me about a month too finish it. The kit took quite a bit of fitting, and sanding to make everything fit the way it should. But what fun is it when you don't have to do anything to it right?

Here's a picture, Ill try to get more when I have time.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8493/dscn0250j.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. ;)

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

Beautiful. It looks great. About how much did the kit run you? Do you plan on hunting with it?

Beautiful. It looks great. About how much did the kit run you? Do you plan on hunting with it?

Thanks nighthawk. I believe the kit ran me around 249$ from basspro, but the price may have gone up a bit by now. They sell several different models including pistols. As for hunting im not sure maybe someday in the future, but just recreational target shooting for now.

EDIT: The price did go up a bit, you can find the same kit I used here.

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

Looks really good! And those things are LOUD! It's amazing how much noise some 50 grains of BP can make.

My dad built a 50cal muzzle loader from a kit when he was younger, but I've only shot it once. How long did it take you to make it?

Looks great Xtreme, I've seen in other forums over the past that there is A LOT of work in some of those kits.

As in they send you the materials required instead of the parts required, so it's up to the builder to do a lot of shaping, sanding, and fitting, etc.

Remember to put some heavy shoes on when you take it out!

Looks really good! And those things are LOUD! It's amazing how much noise some 50 grains of BP can make.

My dad built a 50cal muzzle loader from a kit when he was younger, but I've only shot it once. How long did it take you to make it?

It didn't take me too long to finish it, maybe a month or so. I worked on it off and on when I had spare time.

Looks great Xtreme, I've seen in other forums over the past that there is A LOT of work in some of those kits.

As in they send you the materials required instead of the parts required, so it's up to the builder to do a lot of shaping, sanding, and fitting, etc.

Remember to put some heavy shoes on when you take it out!

Yea you're right about a lot of work.. I half expected to be able to get this thing together in a couple of days with minimal fitting, and sanding. I was wrong! I have a shooting rest so the kick shouldn't be too bad. I plan on using my own black powder for it too. :D

I plan on using my own black powder for it too.

I know you're aware of what you're doing, but I'll just reiterate for the sake of it. Do be careful when using your own black powder. Make sure you do a lot of testing with your own black powder beforehand both inside and outside of the gun to make sure an accident doesn't happen when actually using the firearm. Commercial powders are pressed and are accurately graded for a reason.

It looks like a very nice firearm! I'm quite envious <_<. Hope you'll have some good fun with it soon.