APC Forum

Static Test of 1st 3# motor

billofca

Bill,

Takeo Shimizu says to ball mill the comp to blend it. I am not exactly sure what he meant by that but I ball mill mine for an hour or two since I am using greenhouse grade KNO3 prills (like table sugar) and it seems to look very good in the air.

C-6 is not my favorite but it works.

Bill,

Takeo Shimizu says to ball mill the comp to blend it. I am not exactly sure what he meant by that but I ball mill mine for an hour or two since I am using greenhouse grade KNO3 prills (like table sugar) and it seems to look very good in the air.

C-6 is not my favorite but it works.

I played with some delay comp today. I have KNO3 that I ball milled by itself for 6 hours once before. So I used that KNO3 and mixed a 60-30-10 batch without ball milling, just a simple mix shaken real well in a plastic container with a lid. I then took a short piece of rocket engine tube and pressed in a 1/4 inch clay plug to close one end. I then pressed in the simple mix comp at 4000 psi for a total 1 ID delay comp height. I added a fuse and took it outside with my digital stop watch. The 1 ID column (1 inch) burned for 7.5 seconds with a fairly long flame (no nozzle, just an open end). I think this is going to work just fine. Ball milling speeds it up considerably. Varying the height of the delay will dial in the delay. How many seconds delay would you recommend for a 3# rocket? List a few different payload weights so I can graph it and get an idea. Thanks.

Bill,

I like my rockets to turn 90° degrees before passing fire. It takes around three seconds with 700 grams on a 3# Hybrid rocket and 5 seconds with 300 grams on a 3# BP rocket. I have had success with a 10 second delay on a 3# hybrid with a 300 gram heading as well but it was coming straight down and it blew at about 300'.

It was kinda cool having the stars come out like a cluster bomb. ;)

• 2 months later...

years ago when science fiction comics where really kool there was this fungus that took over the earth and the earthlings built huge rockets and flew the earth near the sun to kill the fungus--maybe if we have to do the same thing maybe we can start with thes rockets!!!!!!!--jsut foolin

peter

I hope that motor did not rock the earth off its normal orbit!:whistle:

Fly