APC Forum

Willow charcoal

Roadapple

Where is the best place to get willow charcoal.

When people talk about Willow making good BP they are referring to "Black Willow" which grows in the Pacific NW

You should buy some Paulownia charcoal from Al. I plan on getting some as soon as I cover the mortgage and a few other inevitable bills.

Al is probably too well-mannered and modest to shill his own product, but he's been making some shit-hot BP with it.

When people talk about Willow making good BP they are referring to "Black Willow" which grows in the Pacific NW

Though "Black willow" is supposed to be great, I've been making BP for a few years now using several kinds of willow (weeping, peachleaf as well as likely a few other varieties). My "unknown willow" when compared to some alder I obtained showed no difference in performance.

If you just want usable BP for lift and break - consistency is the key...not speed. You can make good BP from SPF (spruce/pine/fir) building lumber that will work for all of your needs.

You should buy some Paulownia charcoal from Al. I plan on getting some as soon as I cover the mortgage and a few other inevitable bills.

Al is probably too well-mannered and modest to shill his own product, but he's been making some shit-hot BP with it.

Aw shucks http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/blush.gif

It will be toward the end of the month before I have any available.

I have several orders to fill, my retort burned out, and I can't get much done anymore (except sit on the couch and paste shells:) )

While straight Paulownia charcoal can be too hot for some applications, I don't need to "boost" my shells to get excellent breaks.

I use 5/1 coated rice hulls in 3" cans and 4" balls

I did not know Algenco was making & selling Paulina charcoal.But let me say this.He gave me some to

try & you won't find better charcoal.The fastest charcoal I have made was from Silver maple, then Black

Willow.

But the Paulina is the fastest of any I have tried.Give him a e-mail for you won't find any faster & he

is a good guy on top of that.

Fly:rolleyes:

I did not know Algenco was making & selling Paulina charcoal.But let me say this.He gave me some to

try & you won't find better charcoal.The fastest charcoal I have made was from Silver maple, then Black

Willow.

But the Paulina is the fastest of any I have tried.Give him a e-mail for you won't find any faster & he

is a good guy on top of that.

Fly:rolleyes:

I don't need the fastest, nor will I ever buy charcoal. I'm not disputing the speed of Algenco's Paulownia, but willow has been good to me (and probably thousands of other pyros).

The Silver Maple sounds like something I might try though, as there is an abundance where I get my willow...I just hate change.

I don't need the fastest, nor will I ever buy charcoal. I'm not disputing the speed of Algenco's Paulownia, but willow has been good to me (and probably thousands of other pyros).

The Silver Maple sounds like something I might try though, as there is an abundance where I get my willow...I just hate change.

Well Bonny be sure it's Silver Maple & not some other.But I have both in my wood pile & unless I

run out of Silver Maple the willow most likely will just sit.

Fly

Some people don't have the option to make their own.

I'm blessed to have 2 freinds that are loggers and can get any wood that grows in the Eastern U.S.

I also have access to a lot of very large Paulownia trees.

That said, I can't process very much due to health and physical limitations, but I'm happy that I can help people get charcoal of the highest quality that they otherwise would not have access to.

For everything other than break charges the hotter charcoals need to be mixed with less powerful varieties .

For those that haven't tried it, making charcoal is fun, lots of work, but still an enjoyable experience

Some people don't have the option to make their own.

I'm blessed to have 2 freinds that are loggers and can get any wood that grows in the Eastern U.S.

I also have access to a lot of very large Paulownia trees.

That said, I can't process very much due to health and physical limitations, but I'm happy that I can help people get charcoal of the highest quality that they otherwise would not have access to.

For everything other than break charges the hotter charcoals need to be mixed with less powerful varieties .

For those that haven't tried it, making charcoal is fun, lots of work, but still an enjoyable experience

Mind sharing your methods? I really dislike making charcoal, and above all, grinding it.

I just stuff mine in the ball mill jar until it is about half full. 10 or 20 balls and 1 hour leaves me with airfloat and I don't even have to touch it!

I just stuff mine in the ball mill jar until it is about half full. 10 or 20 balls and 1 hour leaves me with airfloat and I don't even have to touch it!

What size media? And how big is your jar?

Also, what do you use as yor retort?