APC Forum

Chlorinated PVC (CPVC)

AdmiralDonSnider

As CPVC has recently become available for me, I wonder what its uses are. It has a higher chlorine content than common PVC (about 65% compared to 56%); don´t know about its fuel value.

I once heard that it would make a really good strobe fuel, substituting hexachlorobenzene. Any expericences to share?

As CPVC has recently become available for me, I wonder what its uses are. It has a higher chlorine content than common PVC (about 65% compared to 56%); don´t know about its fuel value.

I once heard that it would make a really good strobe fuel, substituting hexachlorobenzene. Any expericences to share?

No experiences to share, but we'll be watching for you to report som eresults. :D

• 2 months later...
I know that pvc or cpvc aren't pure. There is a bunch of other junk in them. Also dont know how you would grind them up but it wont hurt to try.

I know that pvc or cpvc aren't pure. There is a bunch of other junk in them. Also dont know how you would grind them up but it wont hurt to try.

I don't think he was referring to pipe. PVC (and CPVC I guess) can be purchased as fine powders.

Ok. I thought he was.

yeah I know they can be bought as powders but ive never used them.

Never seen it for sale, but I'd certainly be interested in trying it as a HCB replacement in the Chinese deep violet microstar formula. And chance you could share the source?

• 1 year later...

Hi

I was just messing around a little with barium- and strontium nitrate strobes and would to have like some real colour...

Does anyone here finally gained some experience with CPVC as HCB substitute?

Is Dechlorane not available there? I ask because this is what I was told to use as an HCB substitute when I wanted one.

Not claiming any further information than that I was told it made the best available HCB substitute.

My situation was not a strobe star though at the moment I can't say what it was I was going to make.

as one of my friends say to me, I've slept since then. wink2.gif

Edited by warthog

Dechlorane is not available in Europe anyway. Too bad, because there are many Bleser and Hardt compositions that utilize it (or hexachlorobenzene, which is also unavailable). Hexachloroethane is available, though, but it might be too volatile. Haven't tested it as a substitute for anything more than HCB in Chinese Blue #1. In 8mm stars shot from a stargun it seems OK. Hard to judge from that how good a substitute it is, though, since Chinese Blue #1 seems to be used only in small Roman candles and cakes and not in any larger shells. Edited by Potassiumchlorate

I don't know if anyone has ever tested, or at least reported, the use of dechlorane in place of HCB for strobes. I really don't know if it'd work in the first place.

HCB is easier decomposed, right? It looks so from the ring-shape of the molecule. Reminds me of ring-shaped hydrocarbons. (Like I have told before, I only have high school chemistry. :blush:)

From what little I've heard about this, it's the fact that HCB is fuel neutral. White strobes containing barium nitrate, sulfur, mg/al, and dex are known to strobe via whatever mechanism. Essentially you're adding a chlorine donor into the mix to give chlorine to the barium present in the flame in order to produce color. Things that are too good of fuels tend to make the star burn continuously as opposed to strobing like is intended.

Dechlorane isn't really available in the US either. There is one supplier that has about 70 lbs and when it is gone, its gone. That is the only place I know to get it and I think I know of most of the selling suppliers, both big and small. Who I spoke of previously is who I'm almost positive warthog is thinking of. So if you want more get it now and expect to pay more than you did before.

Dechlorane isn't really available in the US either. There is one supplier that has about 70 lbs and when it is gone, its gone. That is the only place I know to get it and I think I know of most of the selling suppliers, both big and small. Who I spoke of previously is who I'm almost positive warthog is thinking of. So if you want more get it now and expect to pay more than you did before.

Hm, what a pity. Too bad that so few suppliers have saved Paris Green, Dechlorane and HCB. If I had been a pyro supplier myself, I for sure would have saved stuff I knew was about to be banned.

Hi,

I cannot get all this stuff anyway. I'm specifically interested in CPVC. It's cheap and available.

I can imagine that the fuel value might not be the problem, but rather the reactivity.

A reactive fuel keeps the mix going during the smoldering phase, even if it does not have a very large fuel value.

Now keep in mind that PVC stars burn rather sluggish compared to parlon stars. Also the CPVC from HF is very coarse, It's supposed to be 100-200µm, compared to the usually very fine parlon.

Really no experience with CPVC here?

No, no experience, but HF seems to be a bad supplier anyway. The stuff they sell is expensive, and they demand a copy of your passport or driving license for things that don't even have an age limit on them legally. That's not very service-minded. Edited by Potassiumchlorate

but HF seems to be a bad supplier anyway. The stuff they sell is expensive

I made rather positive experience. The metal stuff is quite expensive though.

they demand a copy of your passport or driving license for things that don't even have an age limit

The stuff doesn't have no age limit, but the purpose is pretty obvious. If I was in his position I would not sell to minors too. If a customer gets in trouble, he might get in trouble too. And this is Nazi-Germany.

Edited by mabuse00