APC Forum

3" Green Peony

Xtreme Pyro

Ok, so heres my 3" green peony I shot tonight.

Shell Info:

Weight: 156g

Lift: 15g

Burst: BP coated ricehulls

Booster: 3 Grams 70/30

Stars: Skylighters green rubber stars (cut stars using a 3-mesh screen)

Pasting: Paper shell with 16 layers using the 3 strip method

All in all It was a good shell. The video does not do justice, though I do think the stars should have been a bit bigger.

Construction pics:

post-986-128892556412_thumb.jpg

post-986-1288925595_thumb.jpg

post-986-128892561212_thumb.jpg

Video:

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

Nice shell those stars are a bit short lived though

EDIT: Yea I know. They needed to be bigger, the next one will be better :D

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

Short effect, like 1,5 inch or smaller. Stars in round shell want to be spherical. Magnalium sparks from the prime don´t look goog. Try make a round stars from red gum composition.

50AE: Yes, and no. When I am watching a pictures with shells filled with cut stars, only thinly coated in prime, still cubic, I sey NOT. Their burning rate is often short and this stars haven´t defined burning zones, as round stars with prime. Quility stars are starting burning short time after break. When the author will make a perfect cut stars, and will cower them in first prime composition or the same star composition to balls, then in final prime, effect must look perfect!

Bad english sorry.

Awesome shell, didn't sound like it broke as hard as we expected, but mabye thats just the video. Are those the skylighter rubber stars?

Thanks guys, yea the burned out real quick. They are a VERY fast burning star, it didnt break nearly as big as most of my 3's do.

@ Updup yea these are skylighters rubber atars, It was ALOT louder in person the video didn't pick up sound that well.

Thanks guys, yea the burned out real quick. They are a VERY fast burning star, it didnt break nearly as big as most of my 3's do.

@ Updup yea these are skylighters rubber atars, It was ALOT louder in person the video didn't pick up sound that well.

Awesome! Can't wait till I make mine [=.

I'm thinking about making a batch of each color and making a few rainbow cakes =D

50AE: Yes, and no. When I am watching a pictures with shells filled with cut stars, only thinly coated in prime, still cubic, I sey NOT. Their burning rate is often short and this stars haven´t defined burning zones, as round stars with prime. Quility stars are starting burning short time after break. When the author will make a perfect cut stars, and will cower them in first prime composition or the same star composition to balls, then in final prime, effect must look perfect!

Bad english sorry.

I'm quite used to do cut stars, because of the lack of space to have a good roller and lot of star screens to have. Allmost all stars I make are cut.

When cut stars are primed , they become a little rounded. I prime them in a round bowl and apply a thick coat of BP.

When a star ignites, it does it from all sides and that's why it burns more quickly. Flame enveloppe is bigger though.

I'm very satisfied of my breaks with cut stars.

Cut stars often have erratic flight paths due to aerodynamics. It's easiest to tell with long burning charcoal streamers. I wish I had a video of some of my competition entries from PGI. They had brocade outer petal stars, and you can see them start swimming around at the end of their burn. Most of the time the stars are traveling too fast when they burn out to really notice. You also usually need very symmetric flowers to notice them deforming.

It sounds like you pissed off some dogs. Nice colour.

Thanks, yeah my shoot site has a neighborhood on the other side of it, But I am far enough into it to safely shoot shells. Those dogs are always pissed of it seems like, fireworks or not.

Cut stars often have erratic flight paths due to aerodynamics. It's easiest to tell with long burning charcoal streamers. I wish I had a video of some of my competition entries from PGI. They had brocade outer petal stars, and you can see them start swimming around at the end of their burn. Most of the time the stars are traveling too fast when they burn out to really notice. You also usually need very symmetric flowers to notice them deforming.

Yea I know what you mean, I didn't really notice the erratic flight pattern until I took a still picture from the video. It looks like a few of them might of 'swam' a bit in the picture. Still looked pretty good in person though ;).

3peony2.bmp

This is one of the first times ive made cut stars using the screen method (3-mesh), and its my first time making this particular composition, I usually pump my stars. This shell didn't break nearly as big as most of mine do because they burned out way to quick. Im trying the same star composition again, only making bigger cut stars.

Edited by Xtreme Pyro