APC Forum

Sr(NO3)2

PyroPoss

Hey, a little newbie question

Is it possible to make strotium nitrate or Sr(NO3)2 anyhow?

Thanks

-PyroPoss

I've made it 2 ways:

SrCO3 + (diluted) HNO3

SrCO3 + ammonium nitrate + heat + a LOT of water

The first method works very well. I use ~ 25% conc. nitric acid. Slowly add the carbonate, it will fizzle and splash so wear some PPE -goggles, gloves ...) Keep adding carbonate until it stops reacting. You can stir and then wait awhile. I always add some more carbonate and stir again just to be sure. Pour the liquid through a filter to remove excess carbonate (a buchner funnel really helps here). You can then evaporate (boil off) the water and harvest the crystals. I was doing this before I learned about chlorate production, but i would imagine chilling the water would help (some) of the crystals to crash out. After that , I think it would be best to dissolve and recrystallize again to purify.

The second method is a last resort IMO.

calculate amount of ammonium nitrate needed for the amount of SrCO3 that you plan on using - ( Idid this years ago...) - I would recommend a small batch to test out.

Dissolve ammonium nitrate in water, add SrCO3. Heat to react - it will smell like piss. Continue boiling and adding water again and again and again until it no longer smells.

Boil off water and harvest crystals.

See here for a ton of info: My own experiments are on the later pages I think...

http://www.pyrosociety.org.uk/forum/topic/1061-barium-carbonate-barium-nitrate/

and here:

http://www.pyrosociety.org.uk/forum/topic/5295-barium-nitrate/page__p__63590__hl__%2Bbarium+%2Bnitrate__fromsearch__1#entry63590

Edited by Bonny

Hey, a little newbie question

Is it possible to make strotium nitrate or Sr(NO3)2 anyhow?

Thanks

-PyroPoss

What strontium chemicals do you have available to you? If we know what materials you can get, we can make suggestions2smile.gif .

WSMcool2.gif

At a buck a pound, I don't know if it is worth it to make it.

-D

I agree, but what if it's unobtanium where he lives? That changes the whole scene.

WSMcool2.gif

At a buck a pound, I don't know if it is worth it to make it.

-D

Depending where people live, sometimes buying is not an easy option.

You know, you guys keep telling me that and I keep forgetting, maybe Mumbles can add a screen to my account that asks, "Dave, have you really thought about this before posting?" :whistle:

I agree, but what if it's unobtanium where he lives? That changes the whole scene.

WSMcool2.gif

Yea that's my problem. Where i live pyro grade chemicals aren't realy that easy to get your hands on :/

I got all the basic chemicals like kno3, sulfur and such but would like to get some color in my shells.

I have found a fomula on how to make some but i need strotium nitrate.

Thanks for reply

I've made it 2 ways:

SrCO3 + (diluted) HNO3

The first method works very well. I use ~ 25% conc. nitric acid. Slowly add the carbonate, it will fizzle and splash so wear some PPE -goggles, gloves ...) Keep adding carbonate until it stops reacting. You can stir and then wait awhile. I always add some more carbonate and stir again just to be sure. Pour the liquid through a filter to remove excess carbonate (a buchner funnel really helps here). You can then evaporate (boil off) the water and harvest the crystals. I was doing this before I learned about chlorate production, but i would imagine chilling the water would help (some) of the crystals to crash out. After that , I think it would be best to dissolve and recrystallize again to purify.

calculate amount of ammonium nitrate needed for the amount of SrCO3 that you plan on using - ( Idid this years ago...) - I would recommend a small batch to test out.

Dissolve ammonium nitrate in water, add SrCO3. Heat to react - it will smell like piss. Continue boiling and adding water again and again and again until it no longer smells.

See here for a ton of info: My own experiments are on the later pages I think...

http://www.pyrosocie...barium-nitrate/

and here:

http://www.pyrosocie...h__1#entry63590

Nice, thanks mate

I've made it 2 ways:

SrCO3 + (diluted) HNO3

http://www.pyrosocie...barium-nitrate/

and here:

http://www.pyrosocie...h__1#entry63590

stupid question again, but can u get strontium carbonate any other way than buying it on a pyro website?

Ceramic suppliers wink2.gif You don't need Strontiumnitrate to make nice reds. Strontiumcarbonate does just fine.

and a lot cheaper to bootcool2.gif

Ceramic suppliers ;) You don't need Strontiumnitrate to make nice reds. Strontiumcarbonate does just fine.

I second that. But magnalium is required to make a good SrCO3 red.

WSMpublic/style_emoticons/default/cool2.gif

What periodic number does unobtanium have? Just had to ask...

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

Magnalium may be needed for a bright metallic red, but not for a nice one. Hardt #2 organic is a very beautiful red. No chlorine donor needed, only KClO3, red gum/shellac, SrCO3 and binder. The red has a little pink when viewed closely, but in the air you don't really notice it.

Magnalium may be needed for a bright metallic red, but not for a nice one. Hardt #2 organic is a very beautiful red. No chlorine donor needed, only KClO3, red gum/shellac, SrCO3 and binder. The red has a little pink when viewed closely, but in the air you don't really notice it.

I don't think he has any KClO3 - and he probably shouldn't if he is just starting out. From what I read above, he so far has only very basic chems...so I think he is looking to try and make some metallic fuel stars.

Right :) i can make some Kcio3 but i can't get Kcio4 or ammonium perchlorate.

But i can get AL, Mg and MgAl so yea, looking for some metalic stars