APC Forum

Making Wood Tooling

nater

I am trying to make a set of 1/2" tooling using scrap wood, dowels, and a brass rod. I am having trouble finding the center of a dowel to make the nozzle former and to drill out the drifts. I tried making a jig by drilling most of the way through some scrap wood with a spade bit so it can support the dowel while providing a hole to mark the center. I then made a small pilot hole and tried drill larger holes until I can press fit the brass rod. Somewhere along the way I manage to get off center.

I don't have a drill press or a lathe, both of which would make this quite easy. Does anyone have tips on how to improvise using hand tools?

I am trying to make a set of 1/2" tooling using scrap wood, dowels, and a brass rod. I am having trouble finding the center of a dowel to make the nozzle former and to drill out the drifts. I tried making a jig by drilling most of the way through some scrap wood with a spade bit so it can support the dowel while providing a hole to mark the center. I then made a small pilot hole and tried drill larger holes until I can press fit the brass rod. Somewhere along the way I manage to get off center.

I don't have a drill press or a lathe, both of which would make this quite easy. Does anyone have tips on how to improvise using hand tools?

A few questions first:

-Do you live in the USA?

-Would you like a simple set made from aluminum?

-How are you shaping the brass rod?

-What is the diameter of the rod?

As far as how to get the center of the dowel drilled, I used a table, a marker and a drill. It works like this, roll the dowel on the edge of the table, look for the one spot that is in focus, that is the center, place a small dot there. Chuck up the drill bit and place it on the dot, start the drill up and let the bit get a bite on the wood, start to roll the dowel slowly but not to slow. You will see and feel the dowels center as you drill and you will get the best centered hole you can get by hand.

If you screw the pooch and ruin the dowel, cut the end off and try again. Once you have gotten the hole done, sand the dowel into a slight point, that will help keep the wood from splitting. Just a few degrees will do. After you have it all smooth like, use a torch and blacken the surface, do it slowly, dont let it burn. This will make the surface harder and less likely to crush when pounding.

Now, go find some wire, no matter if it is copper or steel and wind it around the end that you will be pounding on. This will extend your rammers life threefold. Don't use a steel hammer, a bounceless hammer will be the best for this use.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side ;)

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll give that tomorrow, I ran out of daylight for tonight.

I live in the USA. I am looking for a simple set of aluminum tooling, I've given up on the set I already ordered from Pianomistro. I plan on ordering 3/4" set from Ben Smith or Wolter once I get the small ones dialed in. I have a 3/16" brass rod, I was going to shape it with a Dremel as directed in the Passfire archives.

Interesting thread. Earlier this summer I attempted and eventually gave up on doing this myself... had no trouble with a base and spindle out of wood and knitting needles, but after several tries ( = dowels converted to kindling) never came close to getting a decent hollow drift made.

The good news is that the gf enjoys woodworking and is all for us buying a lathe next year once we have a shop with room to put one :)

Interesting thread. Earlier this summer I attempted and eventually gave up on doing this myself... had no trouble with a base and spindle out of wood and knitting needles, but after several tries ( = dowels converted to kindling) never came close to getting a decent hollow drift made.

The good news is that the gf enjoys woodworking and is all for us buying a lathe next year once we have a shop with room to put one 2smile.gif

Here is a great tut for making your own tooling

I received the tooling Dagabu sent today, it looks great. I have a month until our next club shoot, so that is plenty of time to be ready.

Algenco, thanks for that link, I haven't seen any of Dan's rockets in person, but he makes some impressive ones on video. I didn't even think of using fender washers as a centering jig, but that looks easy. Maybe I'll try that method to try some end-burners or gerbs. Even if it doesn't work as good as properly machined tooling, I enjoy the DIY process.

Siegmund, I too have the full support of my wife to set up a good workshop once we move somewhere with the room. She could care less about pyro, but if make her some things, she'll doesn't care if I buy other tools. I just wonder how I'll eventually justify the air-over hydraulic press like I've used a friend's shop...

Great link, yes. Definitely going to bookmark that. ty.The washer and tube trick seems so obvious... once someone tells you! Edited by Siegmund