APC Forum

Commercial GunPowder As Lift

ghost808

Hey i am running out of supplies to make lift unfortunately...

I was wondering if i could just purchase commercial gunpowder as lift?

I've seen some videos of 2FA but it doesn't look that fast..

Can anyone help me with the right grade of Gunpowder to buy as lift?

If it is even possible to use as lift.

THANKS!

Hey i am running out of supplies to make lift unfortunately...

I was wondering if i could just purchase commercial gunpowder as lift?

I've seen some videos of 2FA but it doesn't look that fast..

Can anyone help me with the right grade of Gunpowder to buy as lift?

If it is even possible to use as lift.

THANKS!

You can certainly use commercial black powder as lift. One brand alot of people use is called GOEX you can order it online for fairly cheap if you buy large amounts. Though, brands like pyrodex are black powder substitutes and will NOT work that well for lift. Good luck.

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

Looks good.. but idk if they would ship down to hawaii :((((.

Also if i do manage to find the right seller..

What kind of grade should i get?

Looks good.. but idk if they would ship down to hawaii :((((.

Also if i do manage to find the right seller..

What kind of grade should i get?

What kind and size of shell are you firing? I would recommend getting the FFG granulation. As for shipping, Graf & Sons will ship to hawaii you can order by going here.

I like 1Fg personally. It's mostly equivalent to 4FA. Cannon grade, if you can find it, is mostly equivalent to 2FA, 2Fg will work too, but I find it kind of harsh when you start getting into the 3" and 4" shells and larger.

add a $20 Hazmat fee on top of shipping charges.

It would be a lot cheaper to get the materials to make your own

Just my 2 cents, I've done extensive shooting with all goex grades as my local gun shop stocks all of them(cannon to 4fg), I've found that I get the most bang for the buck with 2FG. Instead of 2.5oz to lift a 4" shell with cannon, I lift my 4 inchers with .08 to 1oz of 2FG. I also use about 4-4.5oz to lift my 8 inch shells vs around 6oz with cannon. As mumbles said, it is somewhat harsher than lifting with cannon, but I don't mind a loud lift, I'd rather have my money go a little further....to be honest, I probably could dial the amount of 2fg down a little even from the amounts I'm using....

I finally got my ball mill last week and just milled by first batch of BP, itchin to see how it compares to goex....I may end up sticking with the commercial powder for lift just because it's not all that expensive and this hobby is laborious enough without having to make lift powder too.

Just my 2 cents, I've done extensive shooting with all goex grades as my local gun shop stocks all of them(cannon to 4fg), I've found that I get the most bang for the buck with 2FG. Instead of 2.5oz to lift a 4" shell with cannon, I lift my 4 inchers with .08 to 1oz of 2FG. I also use about 4-4.5oz to lift my 8 inch shells vs around 6oz with cannon. As mumbles said, it is somewhat harsher than lifting with cannon, but I don't mind a loud lift, I'd rather have my money go a little further....to be honest, I probably could dial the amount of 2fg down a little even from the amounts I'm using....

I finally got my ball mill last week and just milled by first batch of BP, itchin to see how it compares to goex....I may end up sticking with the commercial powder for lift just because it's not all that expensive and this hobby is laborious enough without having to make lift powder too.

Hmm thanks Everyone. Yeah i think i may just stick with 1Fg. or probably 4fa whatever i can manage to get. I would make my own but i'd rather have more stable powder than my homemade stuff... Mainly because i've had a lot of misfortune from Flowerpots-.. blown tubes with 3" salutes haha