APC Forum

Double Petals - How do you do it?

pyroguy1960

Step 1 - Apprentice for 40 years under a Master Japanese Shell builder

Step 2 - make shells

Ha, makes sense I suppose, nobody masters an art overnight.

I was definately going to try a 5" inner petal and perhaps I'll make some thin ones using the paste/newspaper method. I'm already using KP burst 5:1 on hulls for the inner burst, perhaps it needs a little booster as well. Will also try to build one using the method described in FAST.

I did notice on passfire in some of the shell autopsy articles the author notes that the contents appear to be wet-packed, then perhaps dried in an over after being closed. I'm definately a little sqeumish about sticking an 8" shell in the oven though. :)

No that information is wrong. Because of high humid in liuyang they have drying chambers. Maybe the shell did get a little humid, and after drying it became totally dry again, but they are never packed wet.

The japanese are not the only ones with good symetry, they have very very nice shells, but that is just because it's given much more care than other shells built by people that care about their wallet as well.

Any of the methods can be made to work just fine. I've had trouble getting good symmetry with just a cavity. I don't think I ever lined the cavity with tissue. I had issues with the inner petal spreading more along the seam of the shell, looking kind of lemon shaped.