APC Forum

Falling leaves

Algenco

I would like to know how to make them, any help will be appreciated.

This question was also asked on Passfire by someone else.

The thread turned into a pissing match with no ifo forthcoming.

Ahem... If someone would check their PMs over at the pissing match.:whistle:

JK!

The comp is slow burning so take care but the method of making them is pretty easy, just put 1/6" to 1/8" of comp between two pieces of thick paper, let dry, prime and tie them in groups.

I added just enough Acetone to barely saturate the comp. I will do a short TUT as soon as i came back from a weekend of rockets!!!

Lacquer Red

Ammonium Perchlorate 41

Strontium Nitrate 20

Hexamine 12

Parlon 13

Sulfur 3

Red Gum 3

Magnalium 200 mesh 8

Edited by dagabu

Thank you kind and helpful Sir

ain't got none of that AP stuff, but I have a batch of Parlon stars mixed up, I'll try it

I just got the PM

Thank you kind and helpful Sir

ain't got none of that AP stuff, but I have a batch of Parlon stars mixed up, I'll try it

I just got the PM

True Blue Pyros True Red is a great comp for reds but it burns fast so you will get a faster leaf. AP is cheap, $4.00 a pound. I only do AP in freshly washed bowls. I really like it for road flares, it spits out a 8" flame from 1/2" tubes and burns 1" per minute.

Potassium Perchlorate is important for priming these, BP will get you mushy leaves that never dry.

Question is, how size is optimal for cards to 2.5 or 3 poka shell. Most of colored compositions can be use for leaves, but technigue is more important.

Karlos,

I made my batches for 6" ball shells and used scraps in smaller shells that worked OK but for a 3" ball shell you may have to do the wet pack method. If you have access to Passfire, there is and autopsy for a similar shell that the leaves are all placed in the shell while still moist and pushed in to conform to the shells curvature.

I made both 1/16" thick as well as the 1/8" thick leaves, the 1/8" leaves burn for about 20 seconds which is way to long for 300'. The 1/16" thick leaves shattered in the bigger shell and were more like stars. In a small shell, the 1/16" leaves cut down to 1/2 x 1" would be fine with little breakage since the break would be a dump and if plastic was used, only glue, no spiking would be nessesary I would think.

That is all speculation since I only make canisters now and the small falling leaves worked fine in a 2.5" canister like this video. VIDEO There were three bundles of four leaves in this can so it looks rather sparse, doing it again, I would use a 4" canister and put 12 clusters in it.

Making the leaves is stupid simple, two sheets of a nice thick paper, plop the whetted mix down, roll it to the thickness you want, let dry until stiff, cut with a blade, let dry, prime, bundle and load in a shell. And I agree, juat about any good star comp would work in these but the lacquer red is slow burning for long duration and that's why it was used in these leaves.