APC Forum

8" mortar rack revisted

pyroguy1960

again...not an option because they would be underwater. :( In the winter the water would freeze around it and probably crack it.... I'll have to take a picture of where I shoot from you'll see what I'm talking about....

The foil tape was only to prevent them from being ignited early from the rest of the show. So no, we didn't remove it.

I guess this wouldn't work with HDPE, but fiberglass has a lip at the top of the gun that kind of holds the foil on with the tape.

Yes it does, it locks it on nicely. The same applies for bagging mortars with plastic when there is rain, except you have to be careful that too much water doesn't build up on top of the bag.

On this shoot we were using foil tape.

A note on using foil tape for covering mortars: after the tape is applied over the mouth of the tube, run a piece around the circumference of the top of the tube, as if covering with foil and masking tape. This allows you to pull off any remaining tape left on the gun with one swoop, instead of tediously picking off the shredded tape piece by piece.