APC Forum

Strontium Oxalate red report ?

Ralph

I saw a Vid with a red report that looked rather good which was apparently made with strontium oxalate and I was wondering if any one had any experience with such formulas or could maybe shed some light on its possible roll in the formula Thanks in advance

I saw a Vid with a red report that looked rather good which was apparently made with strontium oxalate and I was wondering if any one had any experience with such formulas or could maybe shed some light on its possible roll in the formula Thanks in advance

Heh, saw the same video 2happy.gif . He makes sme pretty scary awesome rockets.

The rocket Ralph is talkign about is at 2:35

Edited by Updup

Strontium Oxalate

http://www.passfire.com/images/black.gif

Abbreviation: SrC2 O4 H2O

Description:

A white crystalline powder used to impart color. When used with magnesium, it burns with a better color than strontium carbonate. Without the presence of magnesium, then strontium carbonate is superior.

In that video I hear that Mg is used in one of his red reports. There's another piece of the puzzle. If I were trying to make a red flash, I would probably start with a stoichiometric ratio of strontium nitrate to Mg. Maybe granulate it. For one reason or another, Mg seems to take color easily without washing it out.

A thought that just came to mind is to possibly use a Mg/strontium thermite of some kind. A violent reaction that would free metallic strontium into the air where it would burn immediately with a bright red.

I've heard they use strontium oxalate to color some of the colored reports in Malta. Those formulas are a little too sensitive for me though.

The best colors are made when the formulas are slightly oxygen negative, so I wouldn't quite use a stoichiometric formula. I also prefer MgAl personally. I don't think the color purity is affected much with respect to pure Mg, and it seems to not have all of the same problems. To each his own though.

I would probably start with a Sr(NO3)2 based flash, and replace 10 or 15 parts of the nitrate with oxalate. There's one that uses a little bit of PVC or parlon, I would think that might work a bit better.

Wow, those were some really beautiful rockets. I'm jealous. Some day I'll get to that level..

I also prefer MgAl personally. I don't think the color purity is affected much with respect to pure Mg, and it seems to not have all of the same problems. To each his own though.

I was about to ask if MgAl would have the same color purity as pure Mg. But then I watched the rest of the vid and at 7:30 in the same video posted above they fire off a rocket with a MgAl & Strontium Oxalate report. It didn't look anywhere near as red as the Mg & Strontium Oxalate report. http://smiliesftw.com/x/Dunno_1.gif

Yeah I listened to the video the next report after that is also meant to be red but looks white in the video and is made with MgAl instead.

would magnesium react with the strontium oxalate ?

Coated magnesium reacts with strontium oxalate. It loses it's coating which can in turn cause unwanted, yet unexpected, reactions.

Are we talking about dichromated Mg? Would linseed oil or paraffin wax coating work?

I have tested colored flash with Mg and Sr(NO3)2, it was pinkish but turned a nice full red with +10% parlon.

Edited by GalFisk

Yes, sorry, dichromate treated magnesium. Presumably linseed oil or paraffin would work just fine. Having never tried, I can't say for certain. The mechanism by which it "untreats" the magnesium is fully dependent on the chromium in the coating though.