APC Forum

Formula organization

Updup

Any of you have a good way of organizing your formulas for easy access in the workshop? I know it would be pretty simple to simply write 'em down in my notebook, but I was just wondering if any of you had come up with some genus way of keeping all those comps at hand...

Thanks.

I'd be too nervous to have my kindle in the shop with my grubby meat hooks all over it. I have the white model so charcoal would be a mess. Not to mention the next time I try to take it on a flight 2wacko.gif "Excuse me sir, could you please explain to me again exactly why you have organic explosives residue on your electronics." Thats a nightmare I'm hoping to avoid.

I finished the dreadful task of printing out turbo pyro and I'd like to bind it to keep in the workshop. Should I avoid 3 ring binders because of the steel rings?

I printed out the entire database on cannonfuse and put it in a three ring binder. I add my own pages from time to time, but mostly I just record new compositions on my computer with notepad. I have at least as many other compositions that have been scanned out of old books saved on my computer as I have printed from cannonfuse. I don't often use either source, but instead write the few compositions I use often on a whiteboard or pin them to the edge on a post-it note.

Use a file card system. It´s good to have one sheet per comp, as it´s easy to jump from one formula to the other if there are dozens.

Good ideas... about the Kindle, I agree with CattleSkyFish, would have to wash my hands every time I looked at somthing. I could store stuff on my iPod touch though, for use not in the workshop.

File cards would work nicely, you could have room for notes on each comp, Plus, it would be easy to section your file card box into colors.

Interesting

I use my computer too, and just write down what I need on notecards or pieces of scrap paper. That way I can write the amounts I need for any batch size. It saves me from having to dig through my books whenever I am looking for something specific.

All good ideas, I use my (charcoal colored) Kindle 3rd gen, to store my comps on and it has an cover to keep it clean. I like card files too but after I have touched them several times, they get dirty and ragged.

For me, all the info is stored on the computer (and stays inside)... when I mix something, I copy down the recipe on a scrap of paper and take it outside with me.

It wouldn't hurt me to do a better job recording what I have done so I can refer back to it.

I usually work out comps on paper put them onto the computer than when I need them write them on paper (or gummed tape its handy to stick to the work bench) and than they often ended up getting pasted into devices