APC Forum

Rolling NC based stars?

AdmiralDonSnider

Some of the most exiting stars do require NC as the binder, e.g. red AP based strobes. I´ve worked with different binder systems when rolling stars, but here I´m completely inexperienced.

What I definately know is that you can´t use the thick NC paste as is. It has to be thinned out in acetone (or a similar solvent) to become sprayable. Blesers book contains some info about that. Not really that much.

How does it work? Which viscosity/material ratios are required? Which safety procedures are necessary? And last but not least: which spray bottle won´t just dissolve in the acetone...

Some of the most exiting stars do require NC as the binder, e.g. red AP based strobes. I´ve worked with different binder systems when rolling stars, but here I´m completely inexperienced.

What I definately know is that you can´t use the thick NC paste as is. It has to be thinned out in acetone (or a similar solvent) to become sprayable. Blesers book contains some info about that. Not really that much.

How does it work? Which viscosity/material ratios are required? Which safety procedures are necessary? And last but not least: which spray bottle won´t just dissolve in the acetone...

Hi AdmiralDonSnider,

I have no problems rolling stars bound with NC.

I dissolve gun cotton 10g in 100g of acetone.

This is then thinned again so it becomes spray-able.

When rolling NC bound stars it best to do it on a cool day.

Hope this helps. You can get a spray bottle at the hardware store

that is safe to use with acetone, or maybe try a paint store.

BJV

Hope this helps. You can get a spray bottle at the hardware store

that is safe to use with acetone, or maybe try a paint store.

BJV

Yes it does help, thanks! I never saw such a bottle - would it be all metal (including the mister)?

Yes it does help, thanks! I never saw such a bottle - would it be all metal (including the mister)?

Or all HDPE based.

The trick I found with these is you need to spray 100% acetone through it afterwards, or it clogs. Sometimes you can fix it, sometimes you can't.

I've had pretty good luck rolling a 2-3% solution. This is generally with primes. I've had pretty good luck with a toro kind of method will full conc 10% NC.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't NC added as powder to the star comp, and misted with acetone ,work? Not sticky enough that way?

Never worked much with NC, just thinking, loud.

B!

Wouldn't NC added as powder to the star comp, and misted with acetone ,work? Not sticky enough that way?

B!

where do get NC as a powder?

where do get NC as a powder?

GUNCOTTON: try a paint store or paint manufacturer.I don't think you can buy it retail.

BJV

GUNCOTTON: try a paint store or paint manufacturer.I don't think you can buy it retail.

BJV

that still isn't in powder form, it is shipped in liquid

that still isn't in powder form, it is shipped in liquid

Algenco here is a photo of the guncotton I bought

at a local paint manufacturer a few years ago. I make a 10% solution with

acetone, it works great.

Barry

http://barry.dcwisp.net/guncotton.jpg

Edited by BJV

BJV,

I think Al was asking kind of tongue in cheek. Single base gun powder ground down to a fine powder would serve the purpose but it would cost a lot more to do it that way and the impurities would change the flame color.

You could buy some cotton powder in a paint store and make NC by your own. The particle size is in most cases < 500µm. I think this would be suitable for binding.

B!

I responded to NC in powder form, you can find single base smokeless powders, but not pure NC in powder form

Single base smokeless powder can be as high as 99% NC but it is slow to disolve.

It would probably work in the manner described but would be slow

Easier to cut them. I've tried both and the spraying was a PITA, either it was to loose or to thick, to little or to much. I just gave up in the end and started cutting. :D

I might be wrong since i always bought it in liquid form, but i have been told that art-supplies here in Sweden have NC as powder as a longer shelf life product, as compared to liquid variants that have a tendency to dry out if not quite airtight. (Such as the case might be after a mad painter have used a bit)

B!