APC Forum

is IPA an alternative to cellulose lacquer?

Col

Hi

Is it ok to substitute IPA for cellulose lacquer for the purpose of incorporating mineral oil into bp?

I thought i`d best check before i ruin a perfectly good batch of BP.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Col

NO! Dude, you DRINK India Pale Ale wink2.gif

(Whats IPA other then beer?)

Its clearly the Institute for Practitioners in Advertising tongue2.gif

nah, its isopropyl alcohol.

I have never used anything but Naphtha or Lacquer Thinner to thin Mineral Oil.

Really? I didnt know you had to thin mineral oil before using it in BP... I knew it was thick, didnt know it was that thick.

No, you don't HAVE to dilute it but it sure sprays on much better if you do. When I mad the nozzleless fuel last week, I just poured the oil on the heap and added it to the mill and ran it till it clumped (about 5 minutes).

YMMV

Thanks for the replies guys,

I added straight mineral oil last time but wanted to try the wetter method to see if it made it any easier to mix.

If the oil doesnt dissolve in the alcohol then i guess the cellulose lacquer simply acts as a carrier and reduces the surface tension?

Mineral oils do not dissolve in Iso Propyl Alcohol nor does Cellulose nitrate, Cellulose lacquer uses acetone and some other alcohols and some other solvents.

Like Arthur said, cellulose thinner uses other solvents like acetone. Other chemicals like alcohols, and toluene are in there as non-solvent fillers. They don't dissolve more nitrocellulose, but also doesn't harm the solubility. Thus, you can use the cellulose thinner to dissolve mineral oil, but you can't use pure alcohol.

Mineral oils do not dissolve in Iso Propyl Alcohol

Well shoot, there goes its reputation as a degreaser! I must call that Institute for Practitioners in Advertising and complain. :glare: