APC Forum

Use KP on hulls for lift?

pyroguy1960

I really wouldn't. KP is very pressure dependent on it's own as far as burn rate. There is a small line between flopping a shell out of a gun, and potentially blowing it up. Putting it on rice hulls essentially granulates it, which just makes this risk worse.

not practically yes it would lift but not a good option because kp is pressure sensitive (burnrate) so for a small shell you will need a really long gun and for a large shell you may end up tearing it to shreds. on hulls is far from ideal because they take up lots of room and unless you carefully weighed your burst:hulls ratio and are sure that they are fully dry you cant get an accurate amount of powder and lastly its more expensive and more sensitive

EDIT: beat me to it

Edited by Ralph

understood....getting sick of buying goex to use as lift....looks like it's time to bite the bullet and get a ball mill....

Last time I saw a burst powder used for lift I also saw the shredded (GRP) mortar that it caused. With little opportunity to do large scale testing, and usually too little space, the traditional materials come with history in the process -which is better than no knowledge.