APC Forum

Glitter star with color tip?

boule

OK, I am experimenting a little bit with glitter stars and found them all satisfactory so far but somewhat lacking in effect. No, by that I don't mean the glitter effect in itself! Glitter comes only in hues of gold or white and unfortunately a color glitter is not really available..... well, to fix the lack of colour I was trying to create a colored star that would produce a glitter tail.

Theory: Press a matrix color star with small glitter particles embedded - might work. Mix the color comp in the glitter and you ruin it. Roll layers - too much work. So I guess I am stuck with pumped stars.

From a practical point of view, a smaller version of the married comets will probably work just fine.

Is there any recommendation for color comp? Looking for the follwing:

Ralphs #1 - green tipped would be nice

Winokur 20 - violet might look good

Now, does anyone know how much the burning star comps would influence each other? It would be a pain to make a shell worth of those stars just to find out that some of the burn products from the color star inhibit glitter formation but it would be appreciated to have a composition that can be pumped without having to glue two halves together.

Thanks!

OK, I am experimenting a little bit with glitter stars and found them all satisfactory so far but somewhat lacking in effect. No, by that I don't mean the glitter effect in itself! Glitter comes only in hues of gold or white and unfortunately a color glitter is not really available..... well, to fix the lack of colour I was trying to create a colored star that would produce a glitter tail.

Theory: Press a matrix color star with small glitter particles embedded - might work. Mix the color comp in the glitter and you ruin it. Roll layers - too much work. So I guess I am stuck with pumped stars.

From a practical point of view, a smaller version of the married comets will probably work just fine.

Is there any recommendation for color comp? Looking for the follwing:

Ralphs #1 - green tipped would be nice

Winokur 20 - violet might look good

Now, does anyone know how much the burning star comps would influence each other? It would be a pain to make a shell worth of those stars just to find out that some of the burn products from the color star inhibit glitter formation but it would be appreciated to have a composition that can be pumped without having to glue two halves together.

Thanks!

Why don't you try a cavity star pump. Pump your colored star then fill the cavity with a glitter mix.

BJV

Thanks for the hints. I guess I will get them set up somehow since this is just a mechanical problem, but there is a slightly different aspect as well.

Some of the color stars can actually interfere with spritzel formation, probably due to the amount or type of debris that the color star is throwing out. Just want to avoid reducing my glitter effect by choosing the wrong composition for the color part of the star.

I have never made these before but I would be surprised if they didn't do a great job at letting both comps burn independently since they are separated.

A great method I found was to make the glitter stars first and allow them to dry fully than to make the colour comp (have done with red and with green both were parlon bound) and make a patty out of that(on a sheet of paper) and lay the glitters in a neat pattern with very little gaps. Once the top of the colour comp becomes kinda thickish (like has set and all) make cuts in between the gaps to cut through the top layer than flip it the color will wrap it self around the stars

Here is a very poor example of it it was the first break on a multi break shell that was to large for the gun and I felt like firing it so it was put in less than half way and so not surprisingly it failed but it shows the colour tipped glitter the green, in real life was not affected by the glitter HD or low quality(147kb)

EDIT: I may have a video soon of a 1" green put inside a 2" glitter comet I gave it to a friend to fire over the weekend

Edited by Ralph