APC Forum

6" Round Pattern Shell Orientation

BJV

Hi All,

What can I do to help to get my round shells to brake

in the correct orientation. (Drag rope?) I hope this makes sense.

Has anyone done this, and if so can you give me some pointers.

Thanks

BJV

Drag rope, streamer, fins, etc. There has to be something that makes the shell conform to your desired orientation.

Drag rope, streamer, fins, etc. There has to be something that makes the shell conform to your desired orientation.

Thanks dagabu,

Yes I understand what the drag rope does, what I need to know is how long and what diameter the drag rope has to be for

a 6" shell that weights 1000grams.

Thanks,

BJV

Edited by BJV

Gotcha! I will have to look at my books to give you an accurate answer but the ones I have shot commercially have a rope (about) 10 times the shells diameter.

I just recently watched a video about Disney display, and how most of their heart shells come weighted to help the orientation.

Mabye they weight them with clay...

I just might know the guy that makes and shoots (his people) the shells in Fla. I can ask him how he does it.

I just might know the guy that makes and shoots (his people) the shells in Fla. I can ask him how he does it.

Thanks dagabu, I have shot many pattern shell, but I always have to keep my fingers crossed as to where they

will break. For the amount of time it take to put a 6" together, it would sure be nice to at least try to have some control

of the orientation of the break.

Thanks again for your help,

BJV

Edited by BJV

You can help to get shapes the right way up with a drag rope, but it can still break any way round even with the top at the top! A heart and a smilley face both look like lines from the edge.

In UK pro practice you either put up a few and hope that some show the right way round, or you just put one up and almost ignore it.

Hi All,

Here is a dumb question on the shell orientation. Which way will a shell fly

heavy side up or light side up?

Thanks,

BJV

Edited by BJV

LOL!

BOTH!!! :lol:

On the way up, the shell undergoes a negative pull as it is propelled causing the weight to be on the top due to inertia. Once at apogee, it will start to turn and on its way down, the weight will compel the shell to turn with the weight facing down.

Hope that helps.

LOL!

BOTH!!! :lol:

On the way up, the shell undergoes a negative pull as it is propelled causing the weight to be on the top due to inertia. Once at apogee, it will start to turn and on its way down, the weight will compel the shell to turn with the weight facing down.

Hope that helps.

Yes that helps dagabu and Thanks.

So if the shell break before it hits it hits it zenith it should be in the right position??

BJV

Yes that helps dagabu and Thanks.

So if the shell break before it hits it hits it zenith it should be in the right position??

BJV

How's the best way to describe this...If you position the weight in the shell like a 'hat' on the smiley face, it will be oriented correctly if it breaks while ascending. If you put the weight in the beard position, it will be not be facing the correct direction until after the shell has reached its zenith and is on its way back down.

EDIT: Imagine that the weight in the shell is like the engine of a rocket, and the rest of the sphere is the stick. The engine faces skyward with the stick below it on the way up, but does the opposite on the way down. If the weight is on the top of the face, break the shell before zenith, if the weight is below, make a longer delay so it breaks while falling.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

How's the best way to describe this...If you position the weight in the shell like a 'hat' on the smiley face, it will be oriented correctly if it breaks while ascending. If you put the weight in the beard position, it will be not be facing the correct direction until after the shell has reached its zenith and is on its way back down.

EDIT: Imagine that the weight in the shell is like the engine of a rocket, and the rest of the sphere is the stick. The engine faces skyward with the stick below it on the way up, but does the opposite on the way down. If the weight is on the top of the face, break the shell before zenith, if the weight is below, make a longer delay so it breaks while falling.

Thanks NightHawkInLight for your input.

I am still after some kinda information on the (drag rope) method to orient my 6" pattern shell.

Like how long the rope should be, should it be weighted.

In the shell I just assembled there is about a 30g difference between the top and bottom half.

Thanks again,

BJV