APC Forum

Sticks

NightHawkInLight

I'm just sitting here on a rainy day thumbing through my improvised humidor, trying to be patient and save smoking until I'm on the mower tomorrow.

Any of you enjoy a good cigar now and again? I've been smoking once or twice a month for three or four years. That trend seems to pick up every year come fall and the opening of duck/goose season. There's nothing like waiting for birds to fly into your decoys while enjoying a good cigar.

As of this year the change I accumulate in my truck has turned into my cigar fund. I worked my way through most of the Oliva line over the summer, and have a customer who has been very generous in tipping my partner and I with some exotic brands on multiple occasions.

So far my favorites over the summer have been the Oliva O, V, and the Greycliff 1666. JFR maduro's are also a long time favorite. What I'm waiting on for tomorrow will either be a Gurkha micro batch liga vh-7, or a monster of a Hoyo de Monterrey. Either way I'm looking forward to trying both of them.

Anyone else have a few favorites to share?

I am a cheap bastard, I buy the Thompson Dominican Candela Lonsdale Grande. Buck twenty five a stick, mild, long smoke, the wife doesn't puke ;)

I order from JRCigars.com, I like the Cuban counterfeits with a maduro cover and big so it lasts a while, some thing like a 52 x 8.50 EXCALIBUR EMPEROR CIGARS or FUENTE CANONE CIGARS .

I try to order enough to fill the humidor, I like to have two as sometimes you have to age this cigars a year to get good if their real green, but aging makes even the good ones you get, better over time.

I have slowed down since the tax jump, I ordered 60 before the tax went up and just finished them.

But it look like the tax doesn't change Internet orders, unless they changed the prices on what I ordered in the past to reflect new price, but maybe I just had money and 2.25 a stick was a good price, now so even more compared to buying in the local stores, the ones I used to buy at Wal-Greens where 18.00 for 10 and now there 27.00

Not a huge fan, but im trying to hunt down some MINT cigars! there impossable to find! I had some nice ones from the DR, and a few other kinds. I have an anchent humidor, green glass and it uses a pummice stone soaked in water placed in the lid to keep it humid. I got all my papa's merchant(i think thats how you spell it) pipes, but smoke rarely.

Dagabu, you ever try a flor de oliva cigar? They're about in that price range (though they come in a number of sizes), and are pretty darn delicious for being so cheap. I've been going back and forth for a while now about whether or not to buy a bundle for myself. I might have to give your current choice a shot sometime when I'm feeling like a cheap walking around the yard smoke.

@Herb: I like your taste. I would probably very much enjoy the cigars you chose, though I haven't tried either. I've only tried lighter Fuente's, and they have been decent to above average, but I've always been more a fan of maduros. I've given darker Fuente Hemmingways as gifts, but never smoked one for myself. I usually go for a smaller choice compared to your preference - both because I'm a small guy that can get light headed if I'm not careful, and I also rarely have the time for a ~2 hour smoke.

@Twotails: I've never heard of mint cigars, though I used to mix mint leaves with my tobacco in my pipe. I decided pretty quickly that it didn't taste as good as I thought it might. I'm a pretty big pipe fan also. Pipe tobacco is dirt cheap and tasty. I've tried some premium stuff, my favorite being black licorice, but overall I really enjoy the cheap raspberry and chocolate tobacco from Smokers Depot mixed 50/50. I put the chocolate on the bottom of the pipe because it is a wetter tobacco and has a hard time staying lit on its own, and the raspberry on top which drys the chocolate out slightly and blends perfectly. And now I also feel like a pipe smoke, thank you very much :glare: ;)

Edit: Also, just as a side note: The ladies really like the smell of my pipe blends, whereas if I'm smoking a nice dark cigar there's likely to be no women on my side of the bonfire...There's a +1 for pipes.

Edited by NightHawkInLight