APC Forum

star ideas

berry1

im a uk member and i want to make some mines and aerial shells i can make a cheap flash powder but making the stars are my problem im thinking off opening a cheap selection box fauntain up and putting all the fauntain powder in a bowl adding some water and mixing into a dow like mixture so its not to wet but binded together then i would put it on a cookie tray and rowl it so it covers the tray and is about the same thickness all over then cut it into 1" pices with a ruler and let them dry would this work as a kind of star pls tell me what you think overasly i would have to open up a few fauntains allso im wondering does any one no how to make an explosive powder with chemicals that are readily available from places like B&Q. does the flint and match powder idea make a true flash powder basicaly im saying does it explode or is that idea a myth. allso im thinking what if i used say sparkler powder and mixed it with a metal powder would it make a flash powder like explosive i would allso like to no what else can i mix with a metal powder to make an explosion like a substitute to match powder.<br>thanks for any help guys/girls im still new so bear with me and pls excuse all my terrible spelling and lack of grammor im not a young child im in college

Berry,

I have used fountain comp for stars and they work OK but not well.

You also don't know if there is Mg in the mix or is it will react with water so you need to proceed with great caution and let them dry outside away from anything flammable.

The safest way to make stars is to make cut stars. Cut them into 1/4" or smaller pieces because they can burn a long time. Weigh out the comp, add 4% dextrin and mix well. Add water with a spray bottle, just add a little at a time until the comp starts to clump. put the comp on a piece of waxed paper and press it into a square 1/4" thick and cut them with a sharp knife.

Use homemade black powder meal for prime, let dry and make a small mine to test them.

thanks so much for the quick replay ill try and get the chemicals for making BP im going to give ebay a quick brows im not worrying about the stars quality as ill be happy to make and launch a few stars safely then ill worry about quality and ill add other things to give some cooler effects good point i didnt think about Mg ill have to be carfull thanks for the heads up

The forum isn't really concerned with modifying commercial firework items and prefers to keep discussion to the manufacture of fireworks using raw chemicals and materials. One thing is that you can't be sure on what is contained in the commercial items and that could be dangerous (like dagabu pointed out with magnesium).

About your question, I suppose it's possible to change the effect of the sparkler dust. From memory, the primary oxidizer in most sparklers is barium nitrate. You should be able to get a mediocre green with some experimentation.

There's a few UK dedicated pyro suppliers and may I recommend them over using Ebay for chemicals. Start with getting some KNO3, sulfur and charcoal and you can get some nice charcoal streamers that are really quite attractive. Just getting some aluminium and some others will give you a range of glitters as well. It's much more rewarding making everything from scratch and you get that nice sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when you make a good shell or mine. Might I mention, it's cheaper too.

not quite vitamin F as this guy is hoping for usually the only metal in them is iron sometimes aluminium to but it inst particularly fine and home made bp would undoubtedly be faster and more powerful. he needs to start making bp because his love of flash powder isnt going to get his stars in the air

not quite vitamin F as this guy is hoping for usually the only metal in them is iron sometimes aluminium to but it inst particularly fine and home made bp would undoubtedly be faster and more powerful. he needs to start making bp because his love of flash powder isnt going to get his stars in the air

thanks for the help members i dont love flash in any way i would choose BP well over FP as BP is 10 times more safer than FP but the problem is that flash only needs 2 chemicals and no milling were black powder needs the three chemicals and ball milling and gunzway could you give me the suplyers as im totaly stuck on getting chemicals for bp ebay is useles as their is to many regalasions you cant eaven sell an air soft gun so i would realy apriceate you giving me the suplyers names and web sites if possible

thanks berry1

thanks for the help members i dont love flash in any way i would choose BP well over FP as BP is 10 times more safer than FP but the problem is that flash only needs 2 chemicals and no milling were black powder needs the three chemicals and ball milling and gunzway could you give me the suplyers as im totaly stuck on getting chemicals for bp ebay is useles as their is to many regalasions you cant eaven sell an air soft gun so i would realy apriceate you giving me the suplyers names and web sites if possible

thanks berry1

Research on your own and you will learn much more. Try the supplier reviews section of this forum.

could you give me the suplyers as im totaly stuck on getting chemicals for bp ebay is useles as their is to many regalasions you cant eaven sell an air soft gun so i would realy apriceate you giving me the suplyers names and web sites if possible

thanks berry1

Have you actually looked on ebay though?

Last time I checked everything for BP was available...

tgive me the suplyers as im totaly stuck on getting chemicals for bp ebay is useles as their is to many regalasions you cant eaven sell an air soft gun so i would realy apriceate you giving me the suplyers names and web sites if possible

Are you spelling the search words correctly? :whistle:

totaly corectly i used auto spell check im not in the us so im using ebay.co.uk not ebay.com so it might be different ive resarched google and i cant find any were in the uk

Here is a link to a good friend of mine in the UK. His name is Nick and he sells good quality chems. on ebay.

totaly corectly i used auto spell check im not in the us so im using ebay.co.uk not ebay.com so it might be different ive resarched google and i cant find any were in the uk

You're obviously not looking particularly hard then :blink:

thanks for that cookie man and yes I did research my hardest but my research skills aren't great thanks for all the help guys/girls but the only problem is im not in the us im in the uk the link prices were in $ so im asuming the chems on that link are only available to us users feel free to correct me as i allready no some members will Edited by berry1

click on one of the links you will note that the prices are actually in GBP and the item location (visible from that link) is UK doubt anyone would ship internationally but refuse to post locally

thanks for that cookie man and yes I did research my hardest but my research skills aren't great thanks for all the help guys/girls but the only problem is im not in the us im in the uk the link prices were in $ so im asuming the chems on that link are only available to us users feel free to correct me as i allready no some members will

You need to go to ebay.co.uk not ebay.com - this should stop prices coming up in $.

The following links will take you to (IMHO) the two most reputable webshops in the UK as far as pyro goodies go.

http://inoxia.co.uk/

http://www.cooperman435.co.uk/

Edited by optimus