APC Forum

Begginers salute inserts?

Updup

Well howdy guys! Its finally starting to cool off here in Texas, and so here comes my second season of pyrotechnics!

I'm sure somone has though of using firecrackers as salute inserts before, but I want to ask ya'll if his would acually work. My plans and thoughts are that the blast of the shell breaking might blow the firecracker fuse out, and you know how theres some room between the top rim of the tube and the clay? Well what about stuffing damp star comp in there, after cutting the fuse flush with the top rim of the firecracker? That way the firecracker would act as a star, with the star comp ensuring ignition of the firecracker, then once the fuse hit the flash in the cracker, "SNAP!" [= Clearly this would only work for small shells, where they would break cose enough to the ground for the firecrackes to be heard.

Tell me what you guys think.

I seems like this should work, but i don't know about damp star comp. I would let it dry before using. Also, what type of fuse does the firecracker have? If its gray fast firecracker fuse then your gonna need a pretty good length on it it work the way salute inserts should, and there is the possibility of it side lighting, throwing off the timing. If it is green fuse, I would put more length on it than it just being flush with the rim.

fircrakers do work as salute inserts match crakers work really well as they light really easily

string crackers with paper fuse may have to short of a delay (worth finding out)

and ones with a visco fuse should be primed at the very least (just some meal will do or meal with 5% metal ofcoarse also with binder)

At PGI, there is a class called Southbys C shells for Ladies. The use a 5 or 6" plastic ball shell, fill them with C inserts like bees, fire crackers, jumping jacks and such, drop some rice hulls on top, shake them down, glue it together, strapping tape it in, leader it and go shoot them.

There is rarely a dud inserts the get bathed with fire from the break.

Well they are green fuse crackers, and my idea was to cut the fuse flush with the top of the firecracker, and put a small blob (The size of a star) of D1 on the end of each insert, (Erid, I will wait for the comp to dry first silly tongue2.gif ) this way with any luck the star will work as a prime, and it will be a that nice D1 effect with a little extra suprize at the end.

I made one to test this morning, so I'm waitng for it to dry. Nice shell Night! I remember seeing that video now, but I had forgoton about it earlier

Cheerio [=

I think your idea will work just fine, and look pretty cool. It may be difficult to pack them into a shell properly due to one end being larger than the other. That's the only possible problem I can think of.

It may be difficult to pack them into a shell properly due to one end being larger than the other

Unless I basicly put a pumped star the OD of the firecracker on top, and slightly pack it in with my hands... [= easy fix.

Nice shell Night!

Agreed. Do you explain the construction of that shell somewhere else? If not, what did you use for break?

@Updup - I wonder if alternating the salutes would solve the fitting together issue? Star on top, star on bottom, alternating so that the tubes are flush but the stars extend past the former tube. Essentially every other salute would shifted, almost like a shuffled deck of cards that hasn't been pushed together yet.

Agreed. Do you explain the construction of that shell somewhere else? If not, what did you use for break?

@Updup - I wonder if alternating the salutes would solve the fitting together issue? Star on top, star on bottom, alternating so that the tubes are flush but the stars extend past the former tube. Essentially every other salute would shifted, almost like a shuffled deck of cards that hasn't been pushed together yet.

Yep, that would work... Making sure the "Blob" isn't any bigger than the tube OD ought to be easier though 2closedeyes.gif

No I don't. I believe it was made with a hand rolled canister with rammed paper disks, two layers of crackers, and granulated BP break. Typical spiking. Possibly with a dusting of dirty flash, 1 or 2g 50/30/20 nitrate/S/Al. It was a long time ago.

No I don't. I believe it was made with a hand rolled canister with rammed paper disks, two layers of crackers, and granulated BP break. Typical spiking. Possibly with a dusting of dirty flash, 1 or 2g 50/30/20 nitrate/S/Al. It was a long time ago.

I really like the effect. I have both individual crackers with thin 1in long green visco fuse, as well as bundles of black cats. If I were making a 2.5 or 3in shell I guess I could lay 16-shot black cat strings. If I were making a 1.5in I may try using individual crackers. On the individual firecrackers I have the urge to tape the fuse to the tube with a cone like shape to ensure a delayed ignition. Is this a waste of masking tape? The ends look like exposed flash.

Edited by Skycastlefish

I decided to just prime the firecrackers, and not put the star on the end, I'll post pictures somtime soon, can't find my camra ATM.

Also, I wanted to put another slighty bigger insert filled with a few D1 stars, do you think the effect of that will be lost due to the main shell having D1 in it as well? This is going to be my first 2" shell [=

I don't know how you would fit an insert full of enough D1 stars to be be visible inside a 2". There's not much room.

I don't know how you would fit an insert full of enough D1 stars to be be visible inside a 2". There's not much room.

Yeah, thats kind of my thinking too, unless I had flash for a bottom shot, I guess it would be pretty pointless...