APC Forum

Quick question

Pyropow3r

As you may already know the are a lot of kewls that use a mortar and pestle to make comps........ I also do my self but only for small random batch testing I'm pretty sure we all have one in the cupboard and is used from time to time for small batch testing.

Anyway here is my question..... can a mortar and pestle possibly produce a spark that could potentially set off the comp being milled ????

I know it depends on the material of the mortar and pestle which is a big variable because the materials are as follows

Porcelain/ceramics

granite/soapstone/various other stones

metallic ones are out of the question for obvious reasons (we know it does spark if it is a ferrous metal)

Well, I use one(or well i USE to use one) when im working with small batches. and another for chlorates(its ONLY used for chlorate nothing else) just to break up lumps. there marble. I realy dont use it unless, say im breaking down charcoal for a comp(where i want real large peices for testing) or getting lumps out of chemicals. Mostly i use my mill, but sometimes, i'll just use the M&P if i dont need to use the mill.

Well, I use one(or well i USE to use one) when im working with small batches. and another for chlorates(its ONLY used for chlorate nothing else) just to break up lumps. there marble. I realy dont use it unless, say im breaking down charcoal for a comp(where i want real large peices for testing) or getting lumps out of chemicals. Mostly i use my mill, but sometimes, i'll just use the M&P if i dont need to use the mill.

well that's all well and good but it still doesn't answer my question ????

Short answer is yes, it is possible for a mortar and pestle to ignite compositions. It might not happen often, but anywhere there is friction, impact, static, and foreign elements (mortar material, dust) there is a chance that a self oxidizing mixture could ignite. The trick is to never use one with anything that would cause more than a burnt hand if it were to ignite. Also, not in an area where an ignition could not cause secondary ignitions.

Short answer is yes, it is possible for a mortar and pestle to ignite compositions. It might not happen often, but anywhere there is friction, impact, static, and foreign elements (mortar material, dust) there is a chance that a self oxidizing mixture could ignite. The trick is to never use one with anything that would cause more than a burnt hand if it were to ignite. Also, not in an area where an ignition could not cause secondary ignitions.

So which would be the safest mortar and pestle to use........ anyone ????

• Like 1

Brass would be ideal. I would go for ceramic or porcelain as a second choice.

yeah i was thinking along those lines too ceramic/porcelain would be the go...... hmmm granite would be ok to i suppose

Specifically for safety (though impossible to completely clean) would be wood but its a fools game since the comps you need to worry about (chlorate and finely divided metals) will be sensitive enough that grinding chem on chem will cause it to go without any hard surface.

Some time ago, a guy mixing "F" spilled some on the ground and used his foot to disperse the small pile into the dirt and that was enough to set it off, or so the story goes.

Frankly, each chem should be ball milled separately and then stored, the ingredients should then be measured out and screened (in most cases) together and then bound by their particular method (Acetone for parlon, alcohol for red gum and the like).

I do disagree with the assumption that metal pestles and mortars would be a bad choice, an aluminum mortar and brass pestle would be my choice If I made my own.

I do disagree with the assumption that metal pestles and mortars would be a bad choice, an aluminum mortar and brass pestle would be my choice If I made my own.

Yes and that is why i said ferrous metals!! anything else should be fine brass copper bronze etc

Yes and that is why i said ferrous metals!! anything else should be fine brass copper bronze etc

Not to split hairs but your quote, "metallic ones are out of the question for obvious reasons (we know it does spark if it is a ferrous metal", leaves the impression that metallic in nature is outside of your comfort zone.