APC Forum

Priming advice needed

mabuse00

Hi,

recently I tried Kyle Kepley's Emerald green and Hardts Green Star #5, as well as Conkling Blue #1.

Just did some ground tests (vulcans) and found them pretty hard to light.

Dextrin bound Blackpowder was not really satisfactory. I needed pretty thick, long burning layers to ensure ignition.

I don't think i could handle it that way with real stars.

What kind of prime do you recommend for these compositions, when used for cut stars?

I prefer something that is sensitive enough to work without two-step-priming...

As a prime for stars like emerald green and ruby red you can use green mix with 5% dextrine and 5% up to 10% metal like silicon, magnalium or aluminum with good success. Edited by Fred

I agree with Fred. I've have very good success priming Kepley's Emerald Green with a mixture that is 60% green mix. Just BP ingrediants screened together. Plus 30% fast BP plus 5% German Dark Al and 5% Dex. I put a thick layer (like 1/16") of this first and just a final dusting of straight BP. Works very well.

Thank you, i'll try 5% dark 5µ aluminium.

Can you also recommend sth. for the Hardt Silver Star 1?

Hardt Silver Star #1

Potassium chlorate 59

Aluminium (bright) 26

Red gum 7.5

Dextrin 7.5

I want to use 100µ Alu for this composition, with is pretty inert.

And it contains KClO3, BP contains sulphur.

What kind of prime do you recommend for these compositions, when used for cut stars?

Very hot, easy to ignite and layered thick. The materials to use should include a large amount of charcoal powder (10%-20%) and probably a metallic or metaloid component; let alone an excellent binder. Other than these, look through what you have on hand and experiment, experiment, experiment.

WSMcool2.gif

Hi,

recently I tried Kyle Kepley's Emerald green and Hardts Green Star #5, as well as Conkling Blue #1.

Just did some ground tests (vulcans) and found them pretty hard to light.

Dextrin bound Blackpowder was not really satisfactory. I needed pretty thick, long burning layers to ensure ignition.

I don't think i could handle it that way with real stars.

i would use meal with 5% MgAl or silicon then just dust with green mix biggrin2.gif

The primes you suggested for Ruby and Emerald are suitable, BUT: make sure you use a generous layer! Even 30% silicon won´t do the job when the layer is only 0,5mm - I tried that in a shell and it failed. Step-priming is much more reliable, but can be inconvenient with cut stars.

Concerning the chlorate silver: I found that such comps burn frightingly fast. Use large stars. I personally don´t hesitate to use scratch mix/BP prime for chlorate stars; this is different from having sulphur and chlorate in one comp. But other people do.

Hi,

thanks for your advice.

Did not tests yet.

Concerning the real difficult cases:

As i understand, 2-step-priming with veline superprime seems to be the best variant, but i want to evade it:

I dont have potassium dichromate und i dont have proper woodmeal.

I sure could produce some, but i don't have the equipment to filter out the right particle size.

Searching the web brought this here:

Name: Veline style

Source: Pax

Potassium Perchlorate 62

Charcoal Airfloat 22

Magnalium, granular, -200 mesh 7

Dextrin 4

Aluminum, flake, dark, American dark. -325 mesh 3

Copper(II) Oxide, black 2

Ever tried that composition? Can it compete with the original Veline Superprime mix?

Ever tried that composition? Can it compete with the original Veline Superprime mix?

Only by trying it can you answer that. My initial comment is a good prime should be a low gas mixture with a hot sticky residue and this doesn't look much like one. The Al/CuO component is a hot thermite, but not a slaggy one (Veline uses iron oxide). On the other hand, I haven't been entirely happy with Veline Superprime made to recipe. The prime never fails to burn and always lights perchlorate compositions, but it doesn't do a good job with barium nitrate stars (green or white) even when laid on thick. I got better results by replacing the magnalium with silicon, which also tames the initial bright white flare, but I'm still looking for a reliable prime for barium nitrate.

For wood meal, try yellow corn meal.

yellow corn meal

Thank you for that hint.

That stuff seems to be rather unusual in the german kitchen. Maybe I can get it in some heath food shop...

Does anyone have experience with MDF Dust?

What about the dichromate, i don't have any and I wont get it in the next time.

What will happen if i leave it out? I guess a little oxydation of the magnalium will not hurt...?

Thank you for that hint.

That stuff seems to be rather unusual in the german kitchen. Maybe I can get it in some heath food shop...

Does anyone have experience with MDF Dust?

What about the dichromate, i don't have any and I wont get it in the next time.

What will happen if i leave it out? I guess a little oxydation of the magnalium will not hurt...?

Cornmeal is a very common grocery item in America. It is hard and gritty with the consistency of sand and is often used to dust the bottom of pizza dough so that it doesn't stick to the oven bottom. It's not quite equivalent to wood meal because it softens when it gets wet, but you don't mix prime wet.

I think the dichromate in Veline is used as a catalyst to make it ignite easier, not to protect the magnalium. As I don't suffer from chromophobia I've never tried making the prime without it, so I can't say how much difference it makes.

post-10245-128493274368_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I know a professional who had success using the same composition for burst and prime on the stars. This is a very attractive option. Also the suggestion to apply the prime thick can't be overstated. High charcoal percentages (~20%) help the fast moving stars hold a spark till they slow down enough to ignite. A rough surface on the stars increase the surface area available to be ignited, too (this it why some people add wood flour or grainy components to their prime). A metal component really helps by adding extra heat to the prime function. Glassy components (like silicates or borates) help by making the combustion products of the prime hot and sticky, throwing lots of hot spots on the other shell components to increase ignition points.

Adding catalysts like dichromate help but aren't always neccessary if other methods are used. A lot of people avoid dichromates because of the toxicity.

WSMcool2.gif

Hi,

today I found that corn stuff - our big local grocerer had it.

There are 2 different types.

One is pale yellow and has the consistency of normal flour. Not airfloat, but very fine.

Looks like this here:

http://www.skywarrio...gross/950_3.jpg

The other has a stronger yellow colour and is rather coarse, a consistency like breadcrumbs, little finer.

It's sold as (base material for) "Polenta".

Like this here:

http://theblissfulch.../09/polenta.jpg

Seems to be the right stuff...? Or better take the first?

What do you think?

Edited by mabuse00

Hi,

today I found that corn stuff - our big local grocerer had it.

There are 2 different types.

One is pale yellow and has the consistency of normal flour. Not airfloat, but very fine.

Looks like this here:

http://www.skywarrio...gross/950_3.jpg

The other has a stronger yellow colour and is rather coarse, a consistency like breadcrumbs, little finer.

It's sold as (base material for) "Polenta".

Like this here:

http://theblissfulch.../09/polenta.jpg

Seems to be the right stuff...? Or better take the first?

What do you think?

The first one you mentiond is corn flour, and the second is corn meal... I think you'll want the second one.

The first one you mentiond is corn flour, and the second is corn meal... I think you'll want the second one.

Yep, the second one, the coarse corn meal. If you bought both, spread out the fine corn flour on a large baking tray and bake it at 200C (400F) for two hours to make dextrin.