APC Forum

5 inch blesser blonde streamer

fredhappy

A five inch shell I've shot recently.

here's some data on my shell:

stars : 354 grams of 12 mm blesser blonde streamer stars, made with a starplate.

prime : blackpowder with 5% silicon added and a few % Fe-Ti

break : 137 grams of MCRH 4:1

booster : 6 grams of KCLO4/Indian black 000 hotflash

pasting : 5 layers kraft of 3 strip method, consolidated with weath paste

lift : 70 grams of 10 mesh pulverone made with hemp charcoal

comet : 20 mm blesser blonde streamer , pumped with comet pump.charcoal for the stars was ordinary BBQ.

total weight: 650 gram.

I had made a slight miss calculation with regard to my chinese timefuse, hence the (too) long delay. The shell turned out fine anyway, I really am proud of this one. Simple composition, yet elegant and quite bright.

I hope you enjoy my shell.

pyro greetings!

A five inch shell I've shot recently.

here's some data on my shell:

stars : 354 grams of 12 mm blesser blonde streamer stars, made with a starplate.

prime : blackpowder with 5% silicon added and a few % Fe-Ti

break : 137 grams of MCRH 4:1

booster : 6 grams of KCLO4/Indian black 000 hotflash

pasting : 5 layers kraft of 3 strip method, consolidated with weath paste

lift : 70 grams of 10 mesh pulverone made with hemp charcoal

comet : 20 mm blesser blonde streamer , pumped with comet pump.charcoal for the stars was ordinary BBQ.

total weight: 650 gram.

I had made a slight miss calculation with regard to my chinese timefuse, hence the (too) long delay. The shell turned out fine anyway, I really am proud of this one. Simple composition, yet elegant and quite bright.

I hope you enjoy my shell.

pyro greetings!

Very nice shell!! good break to, I guess it made fred happy.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad you liked it. I really like this calibre, it is quite a lot bigger than a 4 inch, yet not as powder/star consuming as a 6 inch. The stars did burn out rather quickly, the blesser

streamer composition is a nice one however. Personally I like Fe-Ti a lot for stars, it gives a beautifull golden shower of sparks instead of the whitish/yellow sparks of sponge Ti or regular flake Ti...nice stuff.....I used

to use ricehulls only for break, but things improved drastically when I started using 70/30 flash in a flashbag. The stuff boosts my breaks just dandy :).....

I've got one 5 inch ring with these stars ready to go, I'll see if I can upload a clip of that one as well when I decide to launch it.

The stars did burn out rather quickly

I was going to ask about that. My blond streamer stars (cut, 3/8 inch) burn much longer, at least twice as long. I used Skylighter airfloat charcoal, which doesn't make BP worth a damn but seems to work nicely for stars.

I think I have overmilled the compo quite a bit. My ballmill is excelent. It mills very fast BP in 4 hours milltime.

I've used ordinary lump BBQ for these stars, which I first made airfoat with my mill. After this I milled the streamer comp for about 3 hours.

My guess is that the rather quick burning out of my streamer stars had something to do with this. I've got al sorts of charcoal. I've got hemp, grape and BBQ.

I am experimenting with using the cheap BBQ for stars, it obviously needs some finetunening, but I was quite pleased with the break on this one.

Indeed, nobody could criticize the break. I wonder what wood your BBQ charcoal is made from? In these parts mesquite charcoal is common, and identified as such. I was amused to see the sacks have a large "ORM-D" sign on them, considering how badly it sucks for powder.

Indeed, nobody could criticize the break. I wonder what wood your BBQ charcoal is made from? In these parts mesquite charcoal is common, and identified as such. I was amused to see the sacks have a large "ORM-D" sign on them, considering how badly it sucks for powder.

I wonder what my BBQ is made of too. I have no idea. On the bag it says it's "purified charcoal, carbon percentage minimal 82%, moisture content maximal 7%", I guess the other 11 percent is just ash or something. No wood is specified.

When I weighed the charcoal I noticed how heavy it is compared to grape or hemp. I assume this is because it is made of hardwood, but I am not sure to be honest. And since hardwood is suppose to be good for C based stars, I just thought I'd try it out.

I've just made another batch of 700 grams of winokur 20, and some 200 grams of veline red. Stars are pumped with a starplate and pressed with a hydraulic press. I'm very curious at how they will turn out in my shells. Last night I did a little burntest on my stove with a chunk of red star, and it was real bright and red. Everytime it is such a thrill when you make something and try it out for the first time, I really like the veline red, tha'ts for sure :)...

Edited by fredhappy