APC Forum

Some questions about stars...

mabuse00

Hi,

I'd like to try some red stars, and I prefer to try something that I can cut.

How do I get thy prime mix onto the stars?

Just drop some BP slurry on them? Is there any special technique?

I want to try one of these, because i've got the ingredients ready, including very fine charcoal powder:

Hardt Red Star #2 Potassium chlorate 63 Strontium carbonate 18 Red gum 14 Dextrin 5 Add 25% alcohol / 75% water Hardt Red Star #3 Potassium perchlorate 63 Strontium carbonate 16 Red gum 11 Charcoal (airfloat) 5 Dextrin 5 Add 25% alcohol / 75% water

Do they need a prime at all, or does the break charge ignite them properly?

And what influence does the charcoal have (ease ignition?)?

See also the Lancaster red compositions, the one intended to be pumped has more charcoal in it, the pillbox has none.

There are many different ways to do it, some of which depends on how you plan to make the stars. With cutting one of the more traditional ways is to dust the patty of comp with your prime when cutting, and dusting the final cut stars before drying. It has a similar function to what flour does it baking in keeping the stars from sticking to each other. The way I use is to dry them as is, and then slurry prime them. There is more to it than just adding a slurry of BP. You have to keep them rolling or constantly moving to prevent them from sticking, and then dust them with more BP to soak up the wet surface and keep everything from sticking.

You will probably want to prime everything just in case. The charcoal is there to help ignition, but I wouldn't trust it without prime. Pillbox stars lack charcoal based on how they're prepared there is almost no chance they wont ignite.

Hmm, i guess cut stars don't roll very good...

I could try to put them in a plasticbox while still moist, together with some BP, and simply shake them gently...

What size of stars whould you recommend? I'd prefer few big ones over many little ones...

And I want to shoot them with a PVC rocket, I tried several of them with little BP salutes and it works fine. One succesfully transported 35g of smoke mix, so about that amount of stars should be fine.

For priming, try the "stir-fry" method. O.K., there really isn't anything named that, but it's a good description of how to do it. Toss your dried cut stars in a wok or frypan. With a spray bottle, spritz on a light mist of water, take a teaspoon of BP milled meal and dust it over the stars, roll them around a bit, and repeat. Works great. Harder to light stars may need to be step-primed, or you may need to use a hotter prime, but the process is the same.

• 4 weeks later...

And I want to shoot them with a PVC rocket

You will be better off using paper tubes for your rocket, as PVC although it seems like it would work great, will shatter and is quite risky. the slighty rough surface of paper tubes help prevent your end plugs form sliding out.

Basicly, use paper tubes, not PVC. Period.

Hmm, i guess cut stars don't roll very good...

I could try to put them in a plasticbox while still moist, together with some BP, and simply shake them gently...

What size of stars whould you recommend? I'd prefer few big ones over many little ones...

And I want to shoot them with a PVC rocket, I tried several of them with little BP salutes and it works fine. One succesfully transported 35g of smoke mix, so about that amount of stars should be fine.

The priming in a box with BP works very well, go for it!

DO NOT use PVC for rockets! I will save all of the safety issues but if and when the cops find one on you, on the ground etc, they call them pipe bombs around here and throw cuffs on and take you down to booking. No body uses paper for bombs, PVC, metal, etc is bomb making stuff.

Also, PVC will not hold the heat and the nozzle will pop out on end burners and long core burners.

Hardt#2 is a very beautiful red, but needs a meal prime to ignite properly. I cut my stars and cover them with 1-2mm of BP in my star roller.