APC Forum

Containers for chemicals

mabuse00

Hi,

what kind of containers do you use for your chemicals?

Unfortunately the only (cellar-) room where i can store my stuff and work with it is a little moist. It's not that the water is running down the walls, but it's not really dry either. About 14°C in the winter and max 18°C in the summer. No heating, no proper isolation.

Maybe an advantage considering the ESD thing, but for storage it's rather not optimal. I don't have any hygrometer around...

I have to keep my nitrates dry somehow.

I guess you don't dry some stuff only to mix a small batch for some little testing...? So once I dryed something I would like to keep it operational as long as possible.

What's your experience with that matter, what's the best type of container?

Thus far I use some wide mouth bottles.

Considering them:

There are HDPE and LDPE ones, and there are two types of seal:

-some have a sheet of soft plastic inside the cap, with is pressed against the rim of the bottles mouth

-and some have a cap that has a cone, wich is pressed inside the bottles mouth.

What do you think is the best type?

And what is the weakest spot of the bottle, the PE itself, or the sealing?

5 gallon buckets with screw on lids, 2 gallon buckets with screw on lids and wide mouth 1 liter Nalgene HDPE bottles. I also use zip lock baggies a lot when I want to store similar chems in the same bucket.

It depends. I do a lot of chemistry which requires quality chemicals - these will come in the appropriate tech, LR, AR container suitable for the material. All my strong or concentrated acids are in glass bottles with PP lids/teflon seals or glass lids, some in tinted bottles for obvious reasons. Unimportant stuff (hardware store chemicals) is kept in the containers it came in.

If you don't have suitable containers, putting the chemical in a zip-lock bag then in the container will usually work.

Container and Packaging Supply Good selection and they don't mind small orders. I standardized on 16 oz PET jars in various colors, so all my storage is a uniform size. The lids I use have polyethylene foam liners.

All the chemicals I've used in the last two years wouldn't fill a 5 gallon bucket. The shells and paper goods might.

I buy my chemicals with a PE jar from my local supplier, but their lids aren't airtight, so I used to add sillicon in the corners of each lid.